Sunday, September 21, 2014

HAPPY FALL Y'ALL

I am sitting in my screen porch sipping iced tea (not sweet tea!) and enjoying the breeze and 85 degree weather.  The wind chimes are singing and the dogs move from my feet to outside to check out what critters are on the slope.  It is lovely.  When I am done posting this blog page I will go make a sandwich, grab my book and return to this spot for most of this lazy Sunday afternoon.  Starting tomorrow this will all change.  The temps will fall into the 70's - much welcomed relief!  And, it comes appropriately on the fall equinox.

I have always really liked fall. My first 55 years were spent in Wisconsin.  After fall, came winter. Winter consisted of lots of snow, ice, cold, shoveling, bad driving, scrapping car windows, layers of scarves, hats, mittens, gloves, boots - ah - the list is endless and exhausting to think about.  So I never really allowed myself to enjoy fall too much because of what came after.




Here in northeast Georgia fall is different.  It lingers.  And I love it!  When winter does come, it is more gentle, calmer.  Yes, winter in Georgia is calmer.  However, in my four plus years down here we have had a couple dozy ice storms that are extremely dangerous.  Fortunately, we prepare for them and just stay put.  Well, at least we learned from last winter when this didn't happen.  But, I digress.

Driving up to the mountains in fall is wonderful.  Since I work part time I can take the time during the week when the "leafers" (weekend people flocking to see the fall colors) are all at work.  A few years ago my friend, Martha, came down in October.  We decided to check out Amicalola Falls.  The drive up there was spectacular .  In fact, we turned around and drove back up just to view it again and did the same a few days later.

There are many beautiful drives to take in the fall in the mountains.  The best are not well known and I am going to learn more of these.


I haven't been up to Anna Ruby Falls in a couple of years, so that will go on the agenda, too.

Fall is the time for crispy apples, pumpkin pie, Halloween (my favorite), light sweatshirts and the return to baking.  My bins of fall decorations will be pulled out this week, but already fall colors are showing up in my house.  Outside flowers that became too spindly have been pulled from the flower beds, sad tomatoes plants disposed of and more yard work done this coming week since it will be cooler.  Like spring, fall makes me want to be outside puttering away.

I love the four seasons and look forward to the equinoxes every year.  Spring and fall are my favorite, but fall - well, it is the best.

Happy fall, y'all!

No comments: