Thursday, December 27, 2007

Long Winter Nights


I don't do well in winter.


I have SAD (Seasonal affective disorder) to some extent. So did my Mom, so I guess I inherited it.


I try to be aware of it. I try not to let it affect me, but these long dark nights and cold days really do a number on me - my health, my emotions, my attitude - just everything.


I want to live in a climate where in winter I grab a light coat to go out - not a heavy coat, scarf, hat, mittens, warm socks and ugly shoe-like boot things to keep my feet dry.


I dislike getting up in the dark and coming home in the semi-dark. I dislike not being able to walk my dogs because of the cold (and salt on the sidewalks) and I don't feel safe walking them in the dark during the winter. Where are my flowers? Buried deep beneath the soil. I start to doubt if I will ever see them again!


I get so anxious. I get easily frustrated. My emotions run high and then low - I bounce all over the place. I shut down-figuratively and literally. I'm tired. Where's my cave? I put on (even more) weight. I cry a lot and am overly sensitive. Did I mention that I am so very tired? It is like my emotions are on a tight rope and I'm not doing a very good balancing act.


I want the sun. I've sick of snow and it's only the first month of winter. I'm sick of my shovel.


Although I get a lot of reading done, I lose energy and interest in other things. I have great plans for projects to do each winter and each winter I fail miserably at them - I rarely even start them.


I want to be left alone, yet I feel clingy.


I try to see the beauty in the season, and I do to a point. I enjoy the beautiful sunsets in winter, the fresh, crisp air, fresh snow on the trees. I like seeing kids playing, building snowmen, sledding. I love watching the birds at my feeder - stocking up before a storm.


Then the snow gets dirty and ugly. The streets are filthly, garbage piles up, my car is dirty all of the time. I hate it.


UGH! It is so frustrating.


I need sun. I need warmth. I need a long walk with Phil, with my dogs.


After this winter, only 2 more before I can retire. It can't come soon enough. After I retire I only want to see snow on calendar pictures.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Julie, whenever you get tired of winter just hop a jet (stand by can be fun!) and come down to Florida. It is 77 degrees today and sunny. I miss you. Beth

Julie-Ann said...

Hey Bethy -
I might just take you up on it - 77 degrees and you actually see the sun? We're expecting a snow storm! However, I don't want to interrupt the honeymooners! Wait! For the sunshine I think I would interrupt congress!

Interesting fact about Deb's brother. Six degrees of separation . . . oh, wait, that's the temp here in Wisconsin!