Saturday, April 11, 2009

What I'm up to in the world of quilting



A few months ago I joined a mystery quilt group. We meet at Ye Olde School House once a month and get "clues" as to the lap quilt we are making. We were given instructions as to what material to purchase and the yardage needed. Every month we get a new clue or two. I originally decided to make a larger quilt, so I doubled every thing. Now I have changed my mind and will make two lap quilts, one for myself and one to give away. The ladies are great and very friendly and I am enjoying this process and making new friends. Here are 3 completed blocks. Considering we now have used up all of the material we cut, I'm trying to figure out how these 3 blocks (there are many of each one) will all go together to make the quilt. But, that is part of the fun. Stay tuned!


I also started an Elizabeth Sampler class at the same shop. I have the same wonderful teacher, Diane, as I did in my first two quilting classes. I purchased all shabby chic material. Here are the first 2 blocks. One is the friendship star and the other is the churn dash patterns.
Click on the pictures to really see the fabic.


Today I will start cutting a Peter Rabbit themed baby quilt for Phil's granddaughter, Gianna Rose. It is in pinks and yellows. And, I have to sew binding on a table runner, wall hanging and queen sized quilt.
I'm busy!

2 comments:

Jen said...

You know, I've never been to the Ye Olde School House. It looks like they have some really nice programs.

Julie-Ann said...

I love Ye Olde School House.

The classes are very small - in all of the beginning classes it was me and another lady, even the sampler class I am in now. I would have been lost if the classes were more than 3 or 4 people. I also like the fact that they start you out making a simple table runner, then the buckeye beauty wall hanging and lastly the sampler quilt. It is easier to make a table runner and understand simple techniques and, for me, not so intimadating. Then if the student wants to learn more, she can move on to the next class. The jelly roll class was larger, but that was OK because we all basically knew what we were doing! Ha! Even me!

She specializes in Civil War era fabrics, which I am not that into, so that is a bummer. But I can always find some fabric that I like there.

They are a great group of women and a lot of fun. But, I am finding that out at every quilt store I go to!