Saturday, September 02, 2006

Animal Abuse

What the hell is wrong with people?

I read on the CNN webpage about a little 14 pound dog, Bebe, who was actually granted a restraining order from the person who severely abused the little dog.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/09/01/dog.order.ap/index.html

For once, a judge had some sense and actually did something to protect an abused animal.

I know, I know . . . it's just a little dog - don't get so worked up.

I fully realize that there are millions of abused children here in the United States. And, yes, I care very deeply for them. Comparing little Bebe's abuse to those of children is not something I am trying to do here.

Still, I just don't get it. To repeatedly kick or hit a helpless dog, big or little, is disgusting.

I suspect one of the dogs in my neighborhood of being abused. Dusty is a beautiful yellow lab and my little Gracie's best pal. Dusty is very skittish around people and afraid if I reach out to him. My other dog, Lucy Lou, is like that, so I am not too concerned about that behavior. However, one time when we met Dusty he had a thin line across his back - like he had been struck by a rod. Now when I see him I always scan his body for other marks. If I ever see another one, I will call the police.

If a person abuses helpless animals, just imagine what they do to people - both adults and children. I hope those close to the person who abused little Bebe take heed and make sure he gets the help he sorely needs.

No comments: