Thursday, July 12, 2007

Live like a dog

I hate receiving chain emails about the supposed plight of a sick child, urban myths, pleas for help, cutesy pictures or stupid jokes. I beg my friends NOT to send them to me. However, Terri, knowing my love of dogs and how much I love my own two doggie girls, sent me this. Yes, it's sappy and the story is probably not true, but the traits listed at the end are something we "two legged creatures" need to think about.

Gracie and Lucy Lou enjoyed posing for the pictures although Lucy Lou is a very shy girl. They are beautiful and bring me joy, love and laughter every day. Even when Lucy Lou snores, Gracie yips and they both fight for my attention. I just can't imagine my life without them (they will be the only dogs to live forever) or without a dog in my house.

Here's the story. Don't know the author.

Dog's Purpose, (from a 6-year-old)

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife, Lisa, and their little boy, Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.


I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home. As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away. The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why."

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, "People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?" The six-year-old continued, "Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:

* When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.


* Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.
* Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.

*Take naps

* Stretch before rising.
* Run, romp, and play daily.
* Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
* Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
* On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.
* On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.
* When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
* Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
* Eat with gusto and enthusiasm.
* Stop when you have had enough.
* Be loyal.
* Never pretend to be something you're not.
* If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.

* When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and nuzzle them gently.
* Be always grateful for each new day.

ENJOY EVERY MOMENT OF EVERY DAY!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I NEEDED TO RESPOND TO THE SUBJECT MATTER CONTAINED IN THIS SEGMENT OF JULIE ANN'S BLOG. I AM DOING THIS SO THE REAL TRUTH BE TOLD. I AM SURE MANY WOULD AGREE TO WHAT IS ABOUT TO BE REVEALED. THIS ESPECIALLY APPLIES TO GRACIE THE DEVIL (SLIP OF THE TONGUE) THE DIVA DOG. (I HAVE PLACED A NUMBER BY EACH * THAT APPEARS FOR A TOTAL OF 19)

1...RUN TO GREET THEM. ONLY IF YOU HAVE A TREAT IN HAND. OTHERWISE THERE IS BARKING, YAPPING AND CONSTERNATION.

2...GO FOR A JOYRIDE. DEPENDING ON THE MAKE AND MODEL OF CAR.

3...PURE ECSTASY. AND GET DOG SMEARS ALL OVER YOUR WINDOWS AND INTERIOR.

4.TAKE NAPS. ALL THE TIME. ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT WHEN A PARTICULAR DIVA DOG TAKES THE ENTIRE BED NO MATTER WHO IS THERE AND FOR WHAT PURPOSE.

5...STRETCH. VICTORY!!! NO ONE ELSE SLEPT WELL BUT ME.

6...PLAY DAILY. FOR AN ENTIRE 5 MINUTES. BACK TO RESTING.

7...PEOPLE TOUCH YOU. THRIVE IS A VERY MILD WORD. AND TOUCHING ONLY SO ONE CAN GO BACK TO NAPPING.

8...GROWL WILL DO. AND BARKING AND BARKING AND BARKING AND...

9...LIE ON GRASS. MORE NAPPING!!!

10...DRINK LOTS OF WATER. AND KEEP YOU UP AT NIGHT WANTING NEEDING TO PEE.

11...DANCE AROUND. YEA, FOR 30 SECONDS (TO MUCH EXERCISE) AND BACK TO NAPPING.

12...LONG WALK. AND CONSTANTLY BARK AT DOGS THAT ARE 20 TIMES YOUR SIZE.

13...EAT WITH GUSTO. DON'T PUT YOUR HAND OUT...WILL EAT THAT TOO.

14...STOP ENOUGH. WHEN DID THAT EVER HAPPEN. YOU MUST HAVE BEEN DREAMING.

15.BE LOYAL. TO WHOEVER HAS A TREAT FOR THE SHORT TERM.

16...SOMETHING YOU'RE NOT. THEY THINK THEY ARE GERMAN SHEPARDS.

17...DIG. ALL THE WAY TO CHINA NO MATTER WHAT IS IN YOUR WAY.

18...NUZZLE THEM GENTLY. SO THAT YOU CAN BE HELD AND FALL ASLEEP ON THE PERSON'S LAP.

19...GRATEFUL EACH DAY. AS THEY SHOULD BE FOR HAVING JULIE ANN TREAT THEM WITH KINDNESS, CARE AND LOVE. WE ALL HOPE THEY UNDERSTAND AND APPRECIATE.

THAT IS WHAT I THINK.

Julie-Ann said...

Well, Gotti - It is obvious that you have no appreciation for the true divas of the world!

Gracie is a wonderful, sweet, loving and caring dog who protects me from strangers and squirrels.

Gracie deeply appreciates all of the gourmet treats you bring both her and Lucy Lou. She also wants to remind you that she was here first and that at your house she will glady retreat to her own room and king size bed each and every evening. Please make those arrangments for her asap.

Gracie does not sleep on the grass. It is dirty and hurts her tender paws and skin. Same with digging - again, it is dirty. She will bark at dogs who have 100 lbs. on her because she loves me and is protecting me (and she thinks she weights 110 lbs. instead of 11 lbs.).

Gracie is a true example of a kind soul that is completely misunderstood.

Lucy Lou is your favorite. She loves you no matter what and is always a lady. So does Gracie, the poor thing!

Anonymous said...

YOUR LACK OF RESPONDING TO MY POINTED COMMENTS SHOWS EVERYONE THAT I SQUARELY HIT THE TARGET.:>}

I KNOW I SPEAK FOR MANY WOULD SAY "THERE IS NOTHING MISUNDERSTOOD ABOUT GRACIE AND 'KIND SOUL' WOULD NOT BE A PHRASED USED TO DESCRIBE HER PERSONALITY.

Julie-Ann said...

hmmmm, Gotti - let's just see where you end up sleeping! I might just have to purchase a dog house and it won't be for Gracie or Lucy Lou!

LOL :>)

We all know you love both my doggie girls and cherish every moment Gracie sits on your lap and allows you to pet her.

Earthbound Spirit said...

Too funny - I love your doggies, JA. I've also tagged you for the "8 random things" meme on my blog. Participation optional - check it out. See you soon!