Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Just Breathe

I have sleep apnea. What this means is that periodically during the night I stop breathing. For more information check out: http://www.sleepapnea.org/


I noticed the problem myself, as well as Phil. So, last July I went in for a sleep study. After being hooked up to wires on over 20 different places on my body from my head, arms, chest, legs and neck, I was expected to fall asleep while being monitored by a sleep technician. Funny as it may seem, I did fall asleep and slept pretty well. The technician told me that if I exhibited signs of sleep apnea, she would come in during the night and hook me up to a CPAP device. And, sure enough, I was woke up in the middle of the night and a CPAP was placed over my mouth and nose.

CPAP's come in different sizes and shapes. Most cover your nose and mouth and force air into you. This air forces the breathing passages to stay open while you sleep and you don't stop breathing.

Two weeks later I returned to the doctor for the results. According to the sleep study results, I stopped breathing while sleeping an average of 24 times per hour for more than 10 seconds at a time. I have a mild to moderate form of sleep apnea. The doctor told me of one patient that stopped breathing while sleeping over 84 times in an hour.

So, I now have a CPAP or breathing machine. It sits next to the bed and I hook myself up every night. It doesn't cover my mouth, as it fits into my nostrils. It's been an adjustment, but if I can keep in on all night, I do wake up feeling better, more refreshed and awake.

I was pretty shy about letting Phil see me wearing it for the first time. But, being the loving and supportive man that he is, he suggested I fall asleep with it on alone and he would come to bed later. It worked. We were still able to snuggle and he said it hardly makes any noise - a lot quieter than my gasping for breath during the night! He also teases me about sleeping with a scuba diver. Between my CPAP machine and my restless leg syndrome (for which I am on medication, http://www.rls.org/), I must be a real "joy" to sleep with!

Oh, well . . .

I'll see how this works, how difficult it is to haul on trips, etc. But, if it puts an end to my constant tiredness then it will be worth the long adjustment period.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Oh, Julie Ann! How courageous you are to go in for the study ... and what a tender/loving suggestion from Phil on making the adjustment. Thank you for the picture, too. I've heard that there's a device available to help, but hadn't looked into it at all ... it helps to see someone I know with it on.

I don't know if I have sleep apnea ... sometimes I am so tired (although I've slept long) that I yawn through the day (embarrassing!). But I do know John has it.

You've inspired me to look for solutions, rather than just thinking it's something we need to endure.

How wonderful to find another way to feel even better in everyday life!

Julie-Ann said...

Sharon -

I just wanted a good night's sleep and to feel rested in the morning. The CPAP does the job, although the adjustment period has turned into a couple of months!

Washing the glue/kunk that secured all of the wires to my head out of my hair after the sleep study was a trip. Believe me, you want to go home and shower at home before going into work that day!