Friday, November 09, 2007

houses

Phil and I are looking for houses.

Not a house to share immediately, but a house we will retire to and live in for years and years to come.

Since I live in Milwaukee and he lives outside of Chicago and we are looking in the southeastern states, this can get confusing!

We have some specific criteria about the area we want to live in. It has to be in a golf community. It needs be on or near water. We need to be close to a major airport. The community at large should be progressive. There should be a mixture of "mature adults" and young families. We want things to do besides look at the water and golf, so we want it to be located close to a college or university and it should be a community that offers activities, clubs, events, etc.
We have some specific criteria regarding the type of house we want. Phil wants a large home, big enough for entertaining, something we both enjoy. I want everything I need all on one floor - with other bedrooms and guest areas away from the master bedroom. We won't be "downsizing" that's for sure! We want it to have a casual feel, with open space, windows that let lots of light in and a feeling that our guests can walk in, sit down and put their feet up. A large kitchen that we can both work in (since we enjoy cooking together) as well as others who want to help and a formal dining area in which to share these meals. A designated office space for Phil, an area of quiet space for me. Plenty of bathrooms and a large, social area for guests to enjoy on their own, away from the public area of the house. Whoosh! That's a lot, and not all. The lot has to be large enough for the dogs and for me to do serious gardening. Phil would like a pool (a pool on lake property?), and not too close to neighbors.


So far we have seriously considered the Asheville, NC area. While I love this area, Asheville and the mountains, Phil would like to be near water. His concern is that it might get too cold for me in the winter months (one more criteria - not months and months of cold, but a 4 season area).

I have just returned from Hilton Head with my friends Terri and Sally. It is a beautiful area. I looked at houses in the Hilton Head area including Wexford , Palmetta Dunes and Spanish Wells. While an ocean view would be great (saw 2 we could afford with beautiful views that would include dolphins swimming by), I worry about hurricanes and alligators (more inland). I fear that in the peak tourist months, Hilton Head would be like living in Wisconsin Dells or Door County. Too many people and too much traffic.

We seem to be gravitating towards southeast Georgia. We have found a large golf community, on a lake, within 75 minutes of the Atlanta airport. The people are very friendly, there is a lot to do within the plantation (a name these communities are called down south, which I really dislike). There are restaurants and stores all nearby. There are books clubs, golf clubs, discussion groups - a million different things to become involved with and the community promotes participation in several volunteer organizations such as Habitat for Humanity. There is ample shopping and medical centers close, a movie theater and it is close to several great small towns as well as Atlanta, Athens and Macon. Hilton Head is a drivable 3 1/2 hours away. Most important for Phil is that there are 5 golf courses within the plantation and more coming, as well as many more courses in the general area.

This is a big decision for us. With retirement just over 2 years away for Phil and just under 3 years for me, maintaining yet a 3rd house (at last for the next year or so) seems a little nuts. And, this is a HUGE commitment for both of us.

Yet, the closer we get to narrowing down the exact house we want, the more excited we become. We were down exploring this community over Labor Day Weekend and looked at a 6 or 7 houses. I went down during a visit to my sister's in Atlanta in October and looked at a 6 or 7 more homes, returning to one in particular.

Phil and I just returned from "President's Weekend" where potential buyers are invited down for a fully comped weekend. This was a very low key sales pitch event and we were treated extremely well, including 2 nights at the Ritz-Carleton. We enjoyed ourselves immensely. We looked at a few houses, 2 of which we have both seen before and seem to be zeroing in on one in particular. We met some great people and seemed to have developed a very good friendship with our real estate agent and his wife, as well as a couple of their friends. It seems like it will be a good fit. I will be in Atlanta with family over Thanksgiving and will return to the house we like once again to check out the some of the furnishing included with the house.
And despite finding one house we both like, I have plans spread out on my dining room table, just in case we decide to build!

What will we decide? Well, time will tell. The important thing is is that Phil and I are continuing to grow in our relationship and to building a life together. We are planning a home that is welcoming and a good space to be in. It will be filled with love and laughter and it will be a place we can turn to in times of need. It won't be my home in Milwaukee or his home in Chicago, but our home. How wonderful is that?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My opening comment is a slight modification to Julie Ann's introduction--Phil and I are looking for A HOUSE TO MAKE INTO OUR HOME. At the start we will not be living there on a full time basis. However, I have a feeling we will be at our new home more than either of us realize.

For one of us (guess who?) it will comsume many of their thoughts, actions and time. All those years cutting and saving decorating ideas will come to the fore front. Oh boy, are "we" going to have fun!!!

Julie Ann has a hard time to admit to the fact that she has also fallen for having our home on the water. This last visit to Reynolds Plantation she woke early and looked out at the fog and mist off the lake as the sun rose. What a marvelous picture--a beautiful woman against the magnificence of nature!

I also want everyone to know that the size of the lot has nothing to do with her dogs. For all of you who know Julie Ann's two divas the amount of property you need for them is about the size of a postage stamp. The lot size is primarily being dictate to give room for grandchildren to play, roam and have adventure. And, to give Julie Ann plenty of space to garden. (Also to have room for my one or two labs to roam.)

Finally, we have already made a HUGE commitment. This is just a place to settle down. It is important but it does not come close to what and who we are to each other. For all to know--Julie Ann's last paragraph in many ways said it all. However, I would like to add--EVERY DAY I COME TO LOVE, ADORE AND CHERISH HER IN MY LIFE MORE THAN THE PAST DAY. I HAVE TRULY BEEN BLESSED AND WILL ALWAYS TRY TO MAKE HER HAPPY AND FEEL LOVED.

Julie-Ann said...

How did I get so lucky?

Phil - you can have two labs! You know I want more dogs and we will have plently of room that's for sure! And, labs are good with kids. My "girls" will stay out of the grandkid's way.

Yes, I will love living on the lake. As I recall, you were either the golf course or still sleeping while I watch the sun rise!

Anonymous said...

OH HONEY-

YOU FORGOT, THE FIRST MORNING WE WERE AT THE RITZ I WOKE AND SAW YOU SITTING LOOKING OUT THE PATIO WINDOW.

AND, WE WERE NOT LUCKY, WE WERE BLESSED TO HAVE FOUND EACH OTHER.