Thursday, December 27, 2007

More Books


As I mentioned in my last post, there were 19 books that were not chosen to be read by my book group in 2008. Of the 19 I have read 4 (Time Traveler's Wife, Anywhere But Here, Daughter of Fortune and The Thirteenth Tale) and have 1000 Splendid Suns (audio version) on the waiting list to get from the library.

Will I read the other 14? Don't know. I'm only familiar with a couple of them and I might read those. So unless I get any input on any others, I probably won't. The book I recommended, The Thirteenth Tale, didn't make the cut. It is a great book, unusual, somewhat Gothic. Sally recommended it to me and I loved it. Oh, well . . . it has a great website - http://www.thethirteenthtale.com/ - check it out!

Here is a list of the books not chosen:

Evil Genes by Barb Oakley
Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Almost Moon by Alice Seybold
1000 Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
Dante Club by M. Perle
The Most Wanted by J. Michard
Anywhere But Here by Mona Simpson
Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beach
Loving Frank by Nancy Horan
Bethlehem Road by Ann Perry
Farmboys by William Felloews
Being Dead by Jim Crace
Daughter of Fortune by Isabelle Allende
Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
Vegetable, Animal, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver
The Most Famous Man in America by Debby Applegate
Yiddish Policeman's Union by Michael Chabon
Service Included by Phoebe Damrosch

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Earthbound Spirit said...

I LOVED - Time Traveler's Wife; 1000 Splendid Suns; Under the Banner of Heaven

I Want to Read - Long Way Gone; Animal, Vegetable, Miracle; Farmboys

Don't Bother (In My Opinion) - The Most Wanted - Not her best book, not even her second best book...

I'm not sure I could have listened to 1000 Splendid Suns. It was good to be able to walk away from the book sometimes, it gets pretty graphic.

Julie-Ann said...

I love The Kite Runner, which I read. If I have a difficult time listening to 1000 Splendid Suns, I can always shut off the CD player in my car for a while!

Try The Thirteenth Tale - I think you will enjoy it, dear friend.

Earthbound Spirit said...

OK - The WCFLS has it in audio, so I've reserved The Thirteenth Tale. I'll let you know how it goes...

Earthbound Spirit said...

I tried The Thirteenth Tale in audio. I didn't get past the first cd, sorry. Both of the women reading sounded the same to me - and I was lost by the middle of the cd. Maybe some other time I'll try it in print and see if that makes a difference.