Friday, September 26, 2008

Quilting

I’ve always been interested in and loved handmade quilts. When I was in my 20s I tried a quilting class, but found it too frustrating. I didn’t have the patience to be so accurate and precise. It was a large class and I didn’t receive the individual help I needed. So, I dropped the class and all hopes of ever quilting and went on to enjoy them from afar.

When I was married, Bill and I took a trip out east and while in Lancaster, PA where we drove down country lanes until we found an Amish farm where the lady of the house sold quilts. We bought one – a bear claw pattern – all hand stitched. It’s beautiful. I haven’t used it in years, but it is carefully packed away safe and sound. On my many trips to Georgia my sister and I have found a place that sells beautiful locally made quilts for very reasonable prices and I have considered purchasing one or two of them over the years.

Recently I became interested in making quilts again. I know there are all new methods of cutting the material, sewing the squares, piecing, etc. I found a small, friendly quilt store outside of Cedarburg, WI and signed up for a beginning class.

I’m enjoying it. There is only one other woman in the class so we get great assistance from the instructor, Diane. She is very patient and helpful and the class is fun. We are making a table runner. While I’m not happy about my choices of fabric (they looked good at the time), I am enjoying the process. And, while I feel like I am doing more ripping out than sewing together, I’m not frustrated by my lack of precision. I am looking at it as a learning experience.

During this time of stress, with Dad dying, Phil’s father ill, family issues, etc., I’m finding even the process of ripping apart my many lopsided squares is soothing. My hands are busy and I feel like I am creating something of worth. Slowly, but surely I am getting more and more accurate (a quilting foot on my sewing machine made a huge difference).

And, I have started several more table runners as holiday presents for some of my gal pals, in materials I really like. Ha! I hope they do, too!

I have signed up for the next level class in Cedarburg and am on the waiting list for another class at a quilt store closer to home. I love looking and touching all of the different fabrics, imagining putting colors and fabrics together and dreaming of someday snuggling under a quilt I made with Phil .

Sometimes things you really want to do or try need to be put on hold. Almost 30 years later I am starting something I think I will pursue for a long time. It was worth the wait!

No comments: