Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Moonbeams


Those who know me well know that I love the moon. Waxing, full, waning - in all of her guises, I love the moon.

Years ago my friend, Ray, belonged to the South Shore Yacht Club in Milwaukee. It was August and my birthday. Ray took me down to the club and walked me out to the the very last dock and sat me down. With our legs swinging over Lake Michigan I asked him what we were doing out there. He said he was going to give me my birthday present, but I had to wait. And, wait we did. It got darker and darker and I was really wondering what was going on. All at once, there she was. A huge, huge moon began to rise over the lake. She took over the whole sky. I had never seen anything like it before. Slowly she rose, her beams shimmering on the water. I was in complete awe. It was a moment of grace. It was the best birthday present I had ever received. Later Ray gave me a moon and star charm on a gold chain. I bet I have worn that necklace more than any other piece of jewelry. I still wear it for months on end. However, it was the gift of watching that golden yellow moon rise over the lake that I treasure the most.

Last week was the harvest moon. Every evening I was out there watching it rise. One morning, up early, I watched her as she started to set. The moon was so beautiful.
During this full moon time I got up to use the bathroom on night around 2am. Sam got up, too, which is rare. So, out the door we both went. And, again, the moon had me in awe.  It was so high up. The light of the moon lit up my yard. I could see very blade of grass. And, the beams seemed to be touching that grass, right in my back yard. I couldn't believe it! I walked out on that dewy grass and stood under a beam. Wow! I was standing in a moon beam. I was mesmerized. I even looked around, thinking there might be fairies dancing! I was once again in a "moon" state of grace.
I believe in signs. I believe in omens. I believe they are all around us if we just are open to them. What did this experience mean? Hmm - I think it meant, to me, that all would be well. I am sheltered in the light. Light of the moon? Light of angels? Light of heaven? I don't know. I do know that I was held, kissed, blessed and loved by that light.

And, for that I am forever grateful.

No comments: