Tuesday, March 01, 2011

It's a Dog's Life


Shortly after I adopted Oliver he got a hair cut.  I had him cut very, very short has he was just a mess and very smelly.
I prefer keeping my dogs fur short and in summer it is the best options.  They left the hair on his tail too long, but next time I will have it cut shorter.  He also had a vet appointment - a freebe from getting him from the shelter.  We now think he is mainly Shih Tzu, with some poodle thrown in for good measure.  Doesn't matter to me.  He is a great dog and fun to have around.  He and Sam and best buddies. Oliver sure makes his presence known!


Sam had eye surgery.  He had a "cherry" eye that kept popping out.  So, for about 10 days I had a little cone head.   Still wanted  to play, play, play.  Unfortunately, Oliver was afraid of his cone.  But, until his eye was completely healed, Sam had to wear the cone.  And, I am happy to report that the surgery was very successful.

The two of them love to chase each other around the house.  Around the couch, around the dining room table, into the bedroom and back.  Oliver will be at one end of the couch and Sam at the other.  They will eye each other and one will start to chase the other and it starts all over again.  They play tug of war with the toys.  I can't wait to see what happens when the hard wood floors go in and they won't have the carpet to run around on!


Since my Lover's Knot quilt is complete and waiting to be quilted, I decided it was time to break them of the habit of sleeping in bed with me.  I don't want them dragging their dirty paws on this beautiful quilt.  It took 3 nights!  Once in a while when I go into my bathroom I will come out to see Sam curled up on the bed, but basically they know it is now off limits.


However, they do have other comfy places to rest!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, I was reading about your dogs, they are so cute!

what surgery procesure you had for Sam for his cherry eye problem?

I have a 7 months Shih Tzu, who just developed cherry in both eyes, both little thing. The vet quoted me $1200-$1600 to have them repositioned. :(

thanks

Julie-Ann said...

Sam's procedure was to correct the cherry eye - I am not sure of the name of it. It was highly successful. The vet told me it would probably happen to his right eye, too, but so far so good. The surgery was $500 and that included 3 follow up visits.

I couldn't stand to see Sam when he had the cherry eye and it think it was beginning to bother him. At first it would go back in by itself, especially after a nap or in the morning after sleeping all night, but at last it was "out" for about a week.

I don't know where you are located, but I would check around to see if you can get the cost down.

Good luck!