Sunday, December 23, 2012

2012 Holiday Letter



Solstice 2012

 Dear Family and Friends –

Another calm and peaceful year for me.  It was a year of learning and growing – yes, at the ripe age of 57 I am still learning about life and myself – I guess you could call it continuing education!  And, it is a good thing.  I am learning that I need to listen better.  Not only to those around me, but to nature and to the universe.

I am still working part time at the library as a research/reference assistant.  Libraries are so wonderful and I work with great people.  The “cast of characters” that come in on regular basis are fun, interesting and can be somewhat bizarre.  Never a dull moment at the library!  Who would have thought?
Oliver, me and Sam
This year has actually been pretty boring in a lot of respects.  I’m not complaining, though!  I did more gardening, completing my “slope” project, which is truly a miracle.  My dogs, Sam and Oliver, are crazy, happy dogs.  We enjoy our twice daily walks.  What I would do without their wagging tails and unconditional love, I don’t know.  I’m still quilting like crazy.  I keep telling myself NO MORE PROJECTS until I get every single quilt made that I have material for.  But, then a new block of the month quilt comes along or another line of fabric I can’t resist and my resolve goes out the window.  And, of course, I still read as much as I can. 

Visitors included Martha in the spring and Sally and Amy over Thanksgiving.  Martha will also be coming down to help me bring in the New Year.  I am blessed knowing that even though miles keep me and many of my friends apart, our friendships are still strong.   And, I am so thankful for the friends I have made here in Georgia.  I live on a great street with wonderful neighbors.

 I am hoping to travel a little myself in 2013.  Don’t have anything set at this time, but I would like to explore my home state more as well as visit a few others.  I hope the coming year will be more adventurous for me than the last couple of years.  I could use a little “good” excitement!  But, like the saying goes, “I am exactly where I am supposed to be.”  I am healthy and happy.  I have a great family and friends.  I have animals around me from my dogs, to the birds I feed and the critters that live in the woods behind my house (most I’d rather not ever see especially if they slither!).  Life is good. 

 My backyard slope levels out to woods (green space), which has a creek running through it.  Slowly, I’ve been clearing a path, but this fall neighbors also did major clearing and now access to the creek is easy, although still hidden.  I walk down there several times a week – while it is getting cold, I love going down there in the morning.  It is quiet, the birds are busy feeding, I look for deer tracks along the soft creek bed, and I listen to the water running over the rocks.  How blessed I am to have this just outside of my home.  I dragged a small bench there, so I can sit and just be.  It is a place for my prayer, my meditation, and my time to just listen.  

My wish for you this Solstice is that with the returning light you are blessed with a space and time to carve out a place where you can just be.  That we all find joy in simple things and share what we can with others.  Be good to yourself.  Just be, just listen.

And . . . . come visit me!

No comments: