Tuesday, September 09, 2014

FAIRY GARDEN

I don't consider myself a "cutzy wootzy" type of person.  However, the past couple of years little "fairy" gardens have become extremely popular and I found myself very attracted to them.  But, I really didn't want one in my house and there was no place outside that I thought one would work.

The other day I went to my favorite garden center, Autumn Hill Nursery - Four Seasons Gift and Garden and saw this:



I loved this!  I didn't want to use a Buddha, but it gave me an idea.

This is how the bird bath looked
in the corner of my yard in Milwaukee.
I have had this beautiful bird bath for years.  It is great looking, but the birds hate it.  The center "ball" can be removed and I usually place it on the ground near the bird bath.  I tried putting a large rock in the middle of the bird bath for the birds to stand on, but they didn't go for that idea, either.    They avoided it when it was in my backyard in Milwaukee and they avoid it here in Georgia where it is in my front yard.  I think it is just too deep and slippery for birds.  I finally decided to just sell it in the spring and get one better suited for the birds.

But, the Buddha I saw at the garden center gave me the idea for a perfect place for a fairy garden! The useless bird bath would work very well!  And, they sell fairy garden pieces in the gift shop.  So, I purchased a few pieces with a "fall theme."

After putting gravel in the bottom of the bird bath, I added dirt and some small plants.


My sweet little neighbor girl, Meredith, came over to help me decorate. I think she did a great job, don't you?


Meredith loved the two fairy friends.  Me, too!  She is welcome to come over any time and rearrange the pieces.


There are probably hundreds of pieces you can purchase for fairy gardens.  I have already gone back to Autumn Hill and purchased some pumpkins and several pieces I can put out for Halloween.  They had just gotten in a whole Christmas setting.  Well, that will work, too, when the holidays come around.   I will try not to go too crazy purchasing pieces!

Sometimes being whimsical is a lot of fun.   My little fairy garden makes me smile and I hope my neighbors feel the same.

No comments: