Sunday, August 05, 2007

Church Ladies


About 15 years ago, while attending my UU church, I took a curriculum entitled, "Cakes for the Queen of Heaven." It was approximately 10 weeks of exploring the aspect of the feminine in the divine. Afterwards, I really wanted this same type of connection with other UU women, so I started a Women's Spirituality Group at church.


This was a great group of women. We met monthly and shared our stories and each seeked out her own individual spirituality. Two of our members decided to facilitate the next curriculum which sprang from "Cakes", entitled "Rise Up and Call Her Name." And, it is from this group, that my wonderful "church ladies" sprang. And, while the Women's Spiritually Group ended 10 years ago, the church ladies are still going strong.

Saturday night we met at my house for Lammas. We try to meet 5 or 6 times a year, loosely following the Earth-based holidays. From the original Rise Up group of 6 or so "core" members. We meet at each other's houses and share ritual, stories and food. We ebb and flow together.

Held together by an internet group, most of our communication is done via email. While most of us live in the greater Milwaukee area, Nikki has moved back home to California, Miki to the Detroit area, Sally to western Michigan. Shannon lives in Missouri and has never attended our gatherings, but still is a part of us. We have been joined by several new woman lately and they are welcomed into the circle.

We have seen each other through births, deaths, moves, divorces, commitments, grandchildren, child rearing, returning to school, additions, and everything in between.

Personally, I cannot even begin to express what this group of women mean to me. They have loved me and supported me, cared and nurtured me and kept me afloat during the worst moments of my life. They share my secrets, joys, loves, dreams and hopes. They laugh with me and cry with me.

What made this weekend even more special is that Sunday night I was able to meet up with Amy and Shannon. They could not attend our recent gathering as they were at a retreat. I drove down to Illinois and shared a quick dinner with them, along with Amy's lovely daughter, Lexie and her son, Nathaniel. I haven't seen Shannon in 2 years and it was great to see her. And, it is fun to see Lexie grow into a beautiful young woman.
So, here's to my church ladies! I love each and every one of you. Ya'll are one of the best blessings of my life.
Merry meet, merry part and merry meet again. The circle is open, but never broken. Blessed be.

2 comments:

Earthbound Spirit said...

As I read this, an old song started in my head ( I think it's from a musical) -

"Oh, you gotta have friends... friends..."

We're more than friends, though!

Sharon said...

Oh, Julie Ann ... this is beautiful, as are our church ladies! Here's a link to my photo and blog posting: http://grattitudinal.blogspot.com/2007/08/grateful-for-gathering-with-friends.html