Sunday, June 15, 2008

Getting too old for this . . .

Here in Wisconsin, many of the Catholic churches have some type of festival during the summer months to raise money for the parish. Some of these are huge, with games, food and various stages with rock bands playing.

When I was in my 20's I use to hit the circuit of church festivals with my single girlfriends every summer. We would scope out the men, dance, drink and have a good time. It was like going to a bar, but being outside under a tent. As I recall, I had a lot of fun. But then I was young and I was drinking.

After my divorce in 1997/98 several of my women friends liked to go to these festivals for basically the same reasons, although most now say they like go there to listen to the music. Yeah, right.

Older and not drinking it didn't take me long to realize that I really didn't enjoy church festivals any more. And, I didn't enjoy anything along this line of entertainment. After a few beers my friends were in a place I wasn't and would never again be. I hate the crowds and being jostled around. People smoke. The smells are yucky in the tents where the music is playing - smoke and beer. Punky kids show up. It's not pleasant.

But, once or twice a summer my women friends drag me out to a festival. Tonight was one such night. Phil is at home this weekend with his daughters and a little under the weather. I stayed in Milwaukee and made plans with Terri and Martha to go to St. Roman's festival. I dreaded it all week. For a while it looked like it would get rained out. I suggested Plan B - dinner and a movie - particularly "Sex in the City." Sounded like a great girl night out to me. Unfortunately, the weather cleared. And, Terri really needed to get out of the house. Martha couldn't make it so Terri and I ventured to the tents of St. Romans.

And, it was the same old, same old. In fact, in the 10 years I have been divorced I have gone maybe once or twice a year to these festivals with Terri and/or Martha and I see the same faces. Jeez. Same music, same beer smells, same cigarette smoke, same drunks. While I enjoyed Terri's company, I was miserable being there.

So, I'm done with all of the type of "entertainment."

Phil wants to go to SummerFest in a couple of weeks. We have a long weekend planned of hanging out in this area. I agreed. But, during the day only. By early evening when the crowds show up and the heavy drinking starts, I want to be long gone.

Been there. Done that. Over it.

Dinner and a movie, girlfriends?

No comments: