Sunday, June 15, 2008

What to do?

I've been thinking about my previous blog about the church festivals. I went to one last night with my gal pal, Terri, who is single and would really like meet a man and establish a good relationship. She, along with my other single women friends who are single and would like to be in a relationship, complain that there is no place to go to meet men.

Well, obviously, I would rule out church festivals!

But, seriously, being single about 80% of my adult life, I can relate.

I have several women friends who after their divorces just dropped out of the dating scene or never really got started in it. They focused on raising their kids, building their careers and being involved in various interests, both their own and that of their children. They stated that the time flew by, but now the kids are leaving the nest. All at once they realize they would love to start dating, but how? After so many years of focusing on others - both children and volunteer work - it is hard for them to now focus on themselves in a more personal way.

Then I know of a couple of women who made a choice not to date, not to even think about becoming involved. One dear friend told me it has been well over 7 years since she has . . . ahhh - "been" with a man. And, she went on to say that she has accomplished so much in her life and it has been a period of tremendous growth in all aspects of her life. No regrets. However, she is beginning to feel the time is now right to be in a relationship.

Of course, there are many, many ways to meet someone of the opposite sex and everyone out there can give advice as to how to go about it. There are even shelves of books on the subject.

All of my single women friends who would love to be in relationships are attractive, smart women. They have many different interests, are educated, well read people. They keep up with current events and are very self-sufficient. They work hard, do volunteer work and are good friends to their friends.

And, me? I don't have the answers on how to find and maintain a good, loving relationship.
I guess it is all a matter of being open to what may happen while going about living your life in the way you want. And, if you meet someone, looking deep into them and finding that spark - that light - that is more than superficial.

As my mom use to say, "if it happens, it happens." And, while this is true, it's not much consolation on a cold winter night!

No comments: