Thursday, November 06, 2008

Quilting Frenzy


I'm a little obsessed with quilting! This is the first item, a table runner, I ever made. Don't look closely - it is full of mistakes, but I think it turned out OK.


I have started my second quilting class this fall. We are making a "Buckeye Beauty" wall hanging. I have the same wonderful instructor, Diane, and the only other classmate is Lisa, with whom I took my first class with. I look forward to these classes and getting to know Diane and Lisa while we cut, square off, sew and rip!!!!


Below are pictures of the results of my first quilting class, where we learned how to make table runners. I made seven table runners! Most will be holiday presents, but two will be for myself. I used the "stitch in the ditch" method for quilting the runners below. Two runners are being professionally quilted at this time - the only way to go for me at this point. I hated the "stitch in the ditch" method.

In between making the table runners, I made a baby blanket to be given to friends of ours (Phil and I) who are becoming grandparents for the first time. That, too, is being professionally quilted. It was an easy project, but I still did a lot of ripping out! I learned by making it and I think the end result (after quilting and binding) will be darling. And, since Phil will be a grandpa in late March/early April, I have plans to make another baby quilt!

In the meantime, I also have the squares all cut out for a twin size quilt (216 squares!) as well as the material purchased for two queen sized quilts. However, my 30+ year old Kenmore sewing machine died on me. I am a little sticker shocked at the costs of new machines. While I know I will be quilting for years to come, right now I can't justify the cost of a really good brand machine, which start in the $700 range for a basic machine. Even a lesser brand, basic machines start in the $200-300 price range. And, I need one by the weekend to get my class project done and start to sew the twin sized quilt together. Oh, well . . . I guess I can learn hand quilting!






"Coffee" themed runner, front & back (notice little coffee beans on the back fabric). I made two runners like this. One I am still hand stitching the binding on.



Wine/grape table runner with "cork" fabric backing. Turned out a little too green, but, again, I learned from it.






Seasonal table runner with matching backing





No comments: