Sunday, February 07, 2010

Packing it Up/Letting it Go

In about 5 weeks my home will be on the market. Retirement (at least from the City of Milwaukee) looms just over 6 months ahead.

Slowly, very slowly, I am going through stuff and tossing, giving away and maybe packing. Oh - I really need to start packing. Not that I am not ready. I am collecting boxes. I purchased packing tape, bubble wrap and I'm bringing home newspapers from work (I don't get the paper here at home).

A few weeks ago I made a plea to my sister, Suzanne, in Georgia. HELP! I need help organizing and labeling boxes. I need a kick in the butt to get going on the packing. She is just the person to do it - firmly, but nicely! She agreed to come up for four days in late February. What would I do without my sister?

I called my nephew, Patrick and asked him to come over a few times in the course of the next few weeks and do a few things for me - tightening towel racks, replacing broken glass in the china cabinet, helping me get rid of tools I have never used and never will use. I need a couple light switches replaced, too. Oh - the list could go on, but he is a busy man himself and when preparing a house for sale, there comes a time so say that it is as good as it is going to get!

I watch enough HGTV to know what I need to do, how my house should look and how to stage it to make it look welcoming, inviting and like someone elses home.

I am by no means a hoarder, but I am a very sentimental person and sometimes I have a hard time letting go of things. I have to keep telling myself that the memories are in my mind and in my heart. I have been moving the same "stuff" around for 35 years. It is time to let go.

Nancy, after retiring and moving to Mesa, AZ, has given me some good advise. Give it away to friends who like it and will use it. I have been giving artwork to friends. I am parting with my porcelain bird collection and offered birds to many of my gal pals. It is amazing how many of them will find new homes. They are beautiful and it makes me happy to know my friends will have beautiful reminders of me. I have told my friends that if there is any thing of mine they have always liked or admired and would like for themselves, just ask. If Iam ready to part with it they, may have it. I am happy to note that several things have been promised. How wonderful!

My co-worker, Judy's son loves Ebay. He agreed to sell things for me as long as I provide pictures. So, I will be snapping pictures and calling Bobby to work out a deal on how we will work this out. I have some antiques that need to go. And, will someone buy all of these old tools that I have? Tools going back to my grandfather? Who needs sickle these days and how in the heck did I end up with this stuff?

A rummage sale has been suggested several times. But, I don't have the energy for that. Plus, my house will be on the market in March. Not a good time for a rummage sale in Wisconsin. I don't want people tramping in and out of my house. Showings will be difficult enough with the dogs.

Then there is all of the quilting stuff. I love quilting and it is amazing how much I have accumulated in the past year and a half that I have started this wonderful hobby. But, other than starting a queen size quilt for my great nephew's 18th birthday, I need to pack up a lot of what I have and not purchase fabric or start large projects. I will keep out smaller quilting kits and continue with my BOMs, but I need to clear out a lot! Where did this all come from? In just a short time quilting has taken over my home!

So, I am getting all ready for selling my home and moving on. But, where am I moving to? I'm moving south, but will it be 90 miles or 900 miles? Will I be with someone or alone? I think this issue is what is stalling me the most. Indecision, questions and putting my life on hold for the several years now is taking its toll. Decisions need to be made and they need to be made quickly. I have written about this before, yet nothing has changed. This is my own fault. I need to stop waiting for someone else to make up their minds and/or take action and I need to reclaim my own power and decide for myself. But, it is so hard. If I had a friend in this same situation I would shake my head and think, "She needs to get a grip." In someways I am ashamed of myself for being in this position, for allowing myself to be in this position. I am truly a strong and independent woman. So why am I and/or having I put my life on hold for so long? Jeez.

Lots to think about. Lots to do.

Meanwhile, every time I open a drawer or closet I take something out to be given away or toss. I look at everything in my home with a critical eye and think do I really want it or can I live without it. Keep it or let it go. I think I need to carry this attitude on to more than just my house.

1 comment:

sewprimitive karen said...

You're getting a lot done, Julie-Ann! You are being very strong to get rid of things like your artwork, but you are right, the time comes to pare down.