Sunday, April 11, 2010

New Home Sweet Home

My friend, Nancy, read somewhere of the most stressful times of a persons life. Like those surveys that list the top ten most stressful jobs. So, not surprising to me, right up there on the top three most stressful times of a persons life is selling and buying a house. Duh! I am proof of that.


After a whirlwind week of looking at houses, putting an offer on one, pulling out of that offer due to a bad realtor and being jerked around on what was an easy deal and extremely strong offer and literally sealing the deal on the way to the airport on another house, I bought a home in Canton, GA! Whew!


And, while it was more than I really wanted to pay, with the help of my realtor in Georgia, Robert Doyle, I got a wonderful deal on a brand new home. Yes - a brand new home, as in I am the first owner after the builder!


It is in the newer subdivision on the north side of Canton. It is a "cottage" style home - 3 bedrooms, master bedroom has huge walk in closet and wonderful bath (yes, I got a spa tub!), it has a living room and dining room combination with a beautiful fireplace. Attached garage! Laundry area and office nook! Nice kitchen with small breakfast area, granite counter tops and pretty backsplash. Off the kitchen is a screened in porch that opens to a small, fenced in backyard that borders a greenbelt (can never be developed). Cute front porch just perfect for rocking chairs. While the 2 other bedrooms are small, one will be a perfect guest bedroom and the other will be my quilting room. It is steps away from the office nook where I will keep my sewing machine and large enough for my ironing board and cutting table. Lots of closet space in the home, too. And, the best thing - it is a ranch, not step! NO STEPS!


My annual HOA fees include a huge, beautiful pool, a kiddie pool, tennis courts, a basketball courts, club house, etc. The area is relatively flat so it will be good for walking the doggie girls.

the house was almost at the top end of my price range, so I will be getting a part-time job later in the fall, but I feel I got a great deal and I know it is a good fit for me. Jen asked if I would work in a quilt store! Ha! I am afraid I would spend all of my money on fabric! But, who knows? My first thought is to work for a temp agency like ManPower so I can pick when I want to work and for how long at a stretch.

So, now the packing continues. The closings are in the 2nd week in May so while I have time, that will go fast. I also will need to move enough of my things over to my friends place for the next 3 1/2 months until I can actually retire. But, things are falling into place.

Home is where the heart is and I know this new house will quickly become my home. It will be difficult to leave my current home, but a young couple is buying it and will make changes and maybe even start a family here. My new home is less than an hour from my sister and 20 minutes from my nephew. I am already planning to host Thanksgiving and Christmas.

It's all good.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Congratulations Julie Ann!!

Laura's Vater said...

Congratulations! You're amazing the way you make it all happen!

sewprimitive karen said...

Congratulations, Julie-Ann! No picture?