Monday, November 01, 2010

MeetUp and the Tennessee River Boat Cruise

Ever hear of MeetUp?  It is a free, on-line group of people who share the same interests and get together to pursue these interests and have fun.  When I moved down to Georgia from Wisconsin I thought logging on to MeetUp and going places/doing things would help me to make friends, and I was right.  I am active in two book discussion groups and am part of two other groups who like to hike and do a wide variety of other fun things.  While there are specific "singles" groups geared to meet members of the opposite sex, I am not interested in those groups.  Being new to the area, my goal is to meet friends and get out and do things, while exploring the area.


On October 24 I went on a 3 1/2 hour Tennessee River Boat Cruise in Chattanooga.  I drove up with four other very nice women and we had a great time. 


It was a picture perfect fall day
 
The fall colors were at their peak.

Even the clouds were beautiful

Great views the whole time

So pretty


When you log on to MeetUp you enter your zip code and what type of activities you enjoy.  Different groups will appear and you can review them and see if they would be a good fit for you.  I plan to do more with the 'adventures" group. There were 44 on us on this cruise.   Other activities they do are game nights, movies, hiking, kayaking, dancing, holiday parties, concerts, etc.  I enjoy the book discussion groups, too. 

If you are new to an area or just want to meet new people in the area you are in, I highly recommend MeetUp.  Several of my friends throughout the United States have joined and like it, too.

2 comments:

sewprimitive karen said...

I've never heard of it! I'm going to go check it out.

Julie-Ann said...

My friend who had just moved to Charleston told me about it. No quilting groups in my immediate area, though!