Friday, December 31, 2010

YES, I HAVE BEEN QUILTING

I have my quilting room all set up.  Finally, I have a cutting table and I can't tell you how much I am enjoying it.  No more aching back from cutting and piecing over my dining room table.  And, now my dining room stays neat.  My quilting room is small and cramped, but works perfectly.  I have a nice sewing table/desk with drawer space, my cutting table, the ironing board and tons of storage.



The Underground Railroad quilt is complete with shirting fabric for the backing.  It has been sent to Meandering Mary in Wisconsin to be professionally quilted.  (I do need to find a good quilter down here in Georgia). 

Shannon's doll quilt/wall hanging





 Two doll quilts are completed, one with pink binding and one with blue binding.  The pink was given to my great niece, Cadyn, for her birthday and the other was sent to great-niece, Shannon, for Christmas.  Shannon picked out all of the fabric as well as the pattern.  She did a great job.








Finished this Christmas quilt and took it to Magical Threads in Dahlonga, GA for quilting.  Remind me never to work with panels again!  Frustrating!   I have Dickens Village pieces and it will look great over my couch for the holidays.   




I realized that when I purchased the material for my great nephew, Aaron's,  Irish chain quilt last March that I got material for the double/queen size quilt.  I pulled out the fabric to start it and realized that it probably won't be as large as I would like.  So,  I went on a search for more of the fabric to make a king sized quilt.  I purchased all the fabric in Wisconsin at The Patched Works and Jen helped me find more of the light color.  I had just enough of the green and found where I can order more of the star fabric for the backing.  The top is now completed and I am very happy with how it looks.  Simple and elegant.  I can't wait to get the rest of the backing material and have it quilted!  I think Aaron will really like it.


Aunt Grace BOM block 1
 





Aunt Grace BOM block 3


Aunt Grace BOM block 2 (made 4)

You can take the girl out of Wisconsin, but you can't take the Wisconsin quilt stores out of the girl.  I am participating in the Aunt Grace's Circle of Friends Block of the Month through Ye Olde Schoolhouse Quilt Store in Cedarburg.  I am really enjoying this BOM.  I love working with the reproduction 1930s fabrics - so bright and cheerful.  There is some applique working coming up, though.   I have more pictures of blocks 4 and the pinwheel blocks, but it is so darn difficult to work with pictures on the blog that I am too frustrated to add them.  Next time! 

I have visited Tiny Stitches and Little Quilts in Marietta, GA.  Both are great stores, but walking into Little Quilts so reminded me of Ye Olde Schoolhouse that I felt right at home.  Also, my blogging pal, Karen, works there part-time.  Karen has developed many great quilt patterns (I have made 2 of Karen's wall hanging and have a couple more in my "to do" drawer) and might be offering a class there in the near future.  Sign me up!



1 comment:

sewprimitive karen said...

Looking good, Julie-Ann! Yes, Little Quilts is definitely a magical quilt shop; I feel lucky to work there.