Saturday, June 25, 2011

A PLATONIC VISIT

My good friend, David, came for a visit in May for five nights.    We went up to Helen, GA and then to Anna Ruby Falls.  We went to the Aquarium and saw the dolphin show (very cool) .  We visited with my sister and brother-in-law and went to a couple of MeetUp functions.  We also just hung out and talked. 
Me and David at Anna Ruby Falls
I've known David for about eight years.  He has been a very good friend to me and I hope he feels the same about me.  When Phil died over a year ago now, David was the first one at my side and shared his stories of depression and suicidal thoughts.  His insights were extremely helpful to me.  In fact, David's insights on life are always interesting! 


We've had a lot of fun over the years and helped each other over some very rough times.  Our friendship is just that - friendship.  We do not cross the line.  And, that is just fine.  I've met most of his family and his awesome daughter.  It's been fun watching Nicole grow up and David is a great dad to her.  I really admire his parenting skills.

I have always had friendships with men.  And, once the "line" is drawn, for me it doesn't change.  I can somewhat understand that some people don't understand friendship between a woman and a man and I can understand how a man I am romantically involved with might feel threatened by such a friendship.  Everyone is different and I do understand that a man/woman friendship can cross the lines and become sexual.  It takes respect, understanding and trust to maintain such friendships on every ones part.  And, I have learned that if I am romantically involved with someone and he really gives me a difficult time about any "man" friendships I might have, he is totally insecure within himself and I need to leave. 


Pondering relationships at Anna Ruby Falls
 Were there awkward moments between David and me when he was here?  Maybe when I walked out of my bedroom in my robe and jammies the first morning, but we actually had a good laugh about how stupid I looked and moved on.  I know David would like to come again in the next year or so and I hope it works out.  I would love it if he brought his daughter along, but either way, he is always welcome!

1 comment:

Earthbound Spirit said...

Beautiful waterfalls! But, you know I love water...