Monday, September 05, 2011

A Master Fit for a Queen (or Princess, whichever works!)

You may double click on each
picture to see it in a larger format
 Finally.  My master bedroom and attached bathroom are FINISHED!

My dragonfly themed quilt was truly a labor of love.  It turned out huge, but perfect.  I based everything around the room on this quilt.  It has special meaning to me and will always be one of my most treasured possessions. 

I thought the most difficult part of this room would be the quilt.  But, that proved to be the easiest.  The most difficult was painting the room.  While I love my tray ceiling with the crown molding, it was hard to paint around.  Thankfully, the best brother-in-law in the universe, Marlon, came to my rescue and painted the inner ceiling for me.  He and my nephew, Paul, painted the bathroom for me, too.  I tried to paint the ceiling and got some of it done, but it really caused havoc with my neck and shoulders.  But, the walls in the master were all painted by me.
If you look closely, you can see the two
different paint colors I used in the room. 
The color on the bed wall was also
used in the bathroom
Once I had the quilt pieced and it was sent up to Meandering Mary in Wisconsin (I knew she would do a fabulous job and she did) for quilting, it was time to pick out paint colors.  Seems like everyone who came over was asked their thoughts and all had a different opinion.  Even my dear friend, Shelley, who lives in North Canton, Ohio, had her thoughts.  And, since Shelley is great with decorating, I sent her fabric samples of the quilt.  Guess what?  She sent me color samples and I went with her suggestions for the walls.  And, she has never stepped foot in my house!  Go figure.  Anyway, the wall the bed is against along with the ceilings are painted one color (as is the bathroom) and the rest another color.  Two colors, although the light makes it feel like there are 3 or 4 different colors on the walls, depending on the time of day.

The trellis "head board" was found at a junk store shortly after I moved down here.  I love them!  Each trellis was $20 - a great deal.  The cedar chest at the foot of the bed I had in Milwaukee, as well as the antique desk.  The bridal chest on one side of the bed was my mother's and the table on the other side I purchased a few years ago and had refinished.  The little love seat I also purchased a few years ago and had reupholstered down here.  The armoire was purchased at a consignment store here in Georgia.  It is really an old TV cabinet, but it works and Marlon built me additional shelves.  My valences were made from extra material from the quilt (I have tons of all of the fabric used in the quilt) and were made by Nancy, the same lady who did the love seat.  She also made all of the pillows.  Nancy does awesome work.
Tilt mirror  (with towel bar reflected in it) along
with a little picture that was painted by
one of my mother's friends
In the bathroom I removed the huge 4' mirror and replaced it with the two tilt mirrors.  I just love these mirrors. I purchased the mirrors online and got the great price of 2 for 1.  You can find them at Home Depot or Lowe's, but I have never seen them sold at such as great price as I found.  The two light fixtures were also purchased online, at a much lower price then I found them here.  Originally, there was only one light fixture in the bathroom, which didn't make any sense as there are two sinks. 
Picture above the tub I purchased
at one of my favorite consignment
stores here in Canton
Part of the reason it took so long to complete these rooms was financial.  I had to save up money for each item purchased, revamped or reused.  Mirror and light fixtures sat in their boxes for a few months until I could afford to pay the electrician.  Money was saved up for the paint and all of the items I had made, including the beautiful fabric on the love seat and the valences.  I looked for a while for the armoire and while shopping with my friend, Misti, walked into the consignment store and we both loved it.  It does fit in perfectly.

It is a good feeling to finally have this room completed!  I love it.
Dragonfly stained glass above the tub
Armoire, which was also purchased at
my favorite consignment store!
I've had this little desk for over 25 years.
Oliver enjoys his bed underneath it!
Love seat I had recovered with pillows
I had made.  I incorporated a little purple
into the room to add interest.  The artwork
above, while you really can't see it, is a vase
with very soft flowers in greens, golds and purple
Since I removed the big mirror
in the bathroom, I needed a full
length mirror.  I got this one for $65
at a local outlet store.  It is so pretty.
Another table at side of the bed.  Got this
table at a garage sale a few years ago and had
it refinished.  I also started a collection of
dragonfly perfume bottles. 
Other side of bed.  Chair has been in my
family for years.  I always have Kwan Yin
close to me.

No comments: