Thursday, February 28, 2013

Discarded Baby Quilt

Today I was out bumming around.  I've been looking in antique  and resale shops for a couple of items to use in my porch and garden.  Today I hit the jackpot at a little antique store in Ball Ground, GA and found exactly what I was looking for. 

Then I turned and I saw this darling, little baby quilt.




I have to say it tugged at my heart.  Someone, at some time, took the time to embroider and sew this sweet little quilt together  for a baby - most likely a little boy.  And, now here it was sitting in a rather junky little antique store. 
Puppies or pigges?  I think puppies!
It makes me wonder.  Who made it?  A young mother?  A grandmother?  Auntie?  Friend?


Was it ever used? 



Did a little child drag his/her "blankie" behind them, needing it to sleep and find comfort?
Little ducks
I carefully washed it.  It is in great condition.  And, I have no idea of the age of it.

Little chicks

Being a quilter, it always breaks my heart to see quilts dumped in resale stores and antique stores.  I shudder to think that someday some of my quilts will find their way into Goodwill.  I know how hard I work on a quilt and if I am making it for someone special in life - how much love I sew into each stitch.

How did it end up here, at this store?  I fail to understand how this baby quilt wasn't passed down (but, then I feel that way about all discarded quilts).
Kitty faces
 
For now I will keep this sweet, little quilt.


Maybe some day a little boy will be born and I will give it to his mother as a gift. 

But, I will make darn sure she appreciates the age of it, the love that was probably sewn into it and loves quilts  - both new and old.
Puppy face

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.