Saturday, February 23, 2013

WOMEN OF COURAGE QUILT



I've been slowly working on a Block of the Month quilt based on famous women in American history.  Windham Fabrics are used in this beautiful quilt designed by Denise Libscomb.  I won't go into how tiny the fabric has to be cut and how frustrating I find it working with tiny pieces of fabric, but I will say making this quilt is very inspirational!

What I do want to talk about is the women this quilt represents.   Each month I receive the instructions along with fabric to make two identical blocks.  Plus, I receive a short biography of the woman the blocks represent.  Most of the women I am familiar with - Susan B. Anthony,
Sojourner Truth, Mother Theresa, Amelia Earhart, Helen Keller, Corrie Ten Boom, Sacajawea, Rosa Parks and Christa McAuliffe

But, there are several fascinating women I never heard of (I am ashamed to say):

Nancy Wake - Member of the French resistance during World War II
Bessie Coleman - First woman African American pilot
Maude Finch - Ambulance driver during World War I
Mary Edward Walker - First woman to be awarded the Medal of Honor
Mary Roberts Wilson - First woman to be awarded the Silver Star
Madelaine de Vercheres - A Canadian girl who held off the Iroquois and saved a fort of women and children.

All of the women represented in the quilt were brave and remarkable women.  Women who faced danger, helped others, lived their beliefs and overcame insurmountable odds.  Some, like Bessie Coleman, Amelia Earhart and Christa McAuliffe died trying to achieve their goals or doing what they loved.  The sacrifices these women made are incredible. 

If you have a chance, take some time to read and learn about the women listed above that you don't know.  You will be amazed.  And, they might prompt all of us to follow our dreams, fight for what we believe in and be better women.

No comments: