Monday, June 10, 2013

LIVING ON THE PORCH

I've been fortunate.  Both this house and my former home in Milwaukee had screened in porches.  Here in Georgia, the porch is small, but it works for me. 


After I moved in I purchased this little bistro set.  It works great.  I use it a lot, especially in the morning when I drink my coffee and check my email.  The fabric for the pillows I had for at least 14 years. Last year I had the ruffled pillows made for the chairs.  Notice the doggie door to the right of the chair.  Sam and Oliver can go in and out without me having to open the screen door.  Very convenient for me and they don't seem to mind!


This is how it looked when I first got the furniture.  It isn't a
practical arrangement to enjoy the view into the yard, but it does make a great picture!

But, I struggled with furniture. I had some antique wicker pieces, but they were not comfortable and were very low to the ground. So, the past year I looked and thought and looked and thought and finally purchased two chairs and an ottoman from Home Depot. 

A better arrangement


The chairs rock and they swivel and they are very comfy.  I know I will be doing a lot of reading, dozing and gazing at my garden in these chairs.  This year I will make covers for the small pillows on the lounge chairs.  I think they look nice and go with the "shabby chic" look I going for.  The quilted pillow on the chair will also remain.


My view when I look out.  It is a great place to view the birds,
watch the antics of the dogs and just chill!

This picture was taken one chilly morning when
ice formed on the fountain.  Slightly rare down here.
The small table fountain is solar powered.  I love the sound of the water and it is just the right size for the antique wicker table I purchased at a junk store.

Now, I needed a light to read by at night.  I have a ceiling fan with a light, but the light it is not bright enough.  I wanted a hanging lamp that would stay out of the way, and since that would be tucked into the corer and very protected to the elements.  So, I copied an idea.  I purchased this little decorative bird cage for $19.99 at Home Goods.  Originally it had a wood finial, but I ripped that off before I thought to take a picture.





 

I wanted a funky color that would go with the porch, so after consulting two of my neighbors, Pam and Lisa, I decided on red.  But, first I had to figure out how to put the light kit in it.  I'm not real handy.

I finally asked for help and Lisa's husband, David, put the light fixture kit in it for me.  Alas, I once again forgot to take picture.

Then, out came the spray paint.  Since it would be pretty protected by the elements, but still outside, I used a primer first.


Then came the high gloss red spray paint.


After a couple of coats it was ready to hang.


Sorry for the broom handle!  LOL
Wa la - a funky new lamp for my porch.


I am not sure if I will keep the little grates on the bottom of the cage.  Right now the shadows are fun, but they might bug me when I am reading at night. 

Cost?  Hmmm - between $35-$40.  Not bad.  I think it looks fun.   

Candle looks goofy in the picture and is
not usually set on the table.  Oh, well . . .

I also needed a small table with store for my gardening tools and to set things on. I got this "table" at another junk store.  It was a mess.  My brother-in-law, Marlon, secured it for me, added a stable bottom board and wheels so I can easily move it around.  After a few cans of spray paint to match the light fixture that hangs above it, I think it looks fabulous and the cost was around $30. 

Come on over for a visit and we'll relax, have a long talk, enjoy a cold glass of lemonade while sitting in the porch! 


No comments: