Sunday, January 25, 2009

Playing Dress Up?



Today I took a break from quilting and turned on the TV to TCM. The movie was Palm Springs Weekend from 1963. A typical "teenage" movie from that time with the crazy cast of Connie Stevens, Troy Donahue, James Conrad (remember Wild, Wild West?), Jerry Van Dyke, and Stefanie Powers. I think Connie Francis sang in it.

While staring mutely at the screen I began to notice the clothing the women had on. Typical 1963 fashions, but I noticed that most of them would fit in perfectly with today's styles. The dresses, from the waist up would work perfect in 2009, with the lower half (skirt part) being just a little fuller than today's styles. They were beautiful dresses.

During this time my sister, Sue, called from Atlanta and I told her to turn on TCM and check out the fashions. Since she would have been around 18 at the time the movie was made, she would remember them. And, she did. We really got a kick out of watching this and discussing the fashions and the 2-piece women's swimming suits with the pointy bra type tops and the bottoms well above the belly buttons. They were sexy with out boobs hanging out and butt cracks showing like they do now.



In one scene the "kids" got together at a house for a party. The record player was in full swing and they were dancing the Twist (remember the Twist?). The women had on fabulous dresses and the men all had on jackets and ties. Sue remembered having a dress very similar to one in the movie.

This then led to a conversation about how people use to get dressed up to go "out." Going to church, funerals, weddings - every social setting was an occasion for dresses, heels, ties and jackets. We both agreed it was kind of nice.

The last couple of weddings I have been at I have been shocked at the apparel some of the guest have worn. Shorts, casual shirts, flip flops, etc. Same with funerals and church.

When I was a kid I remember getting a fancy dress for both Christmas and Easter. I remember some were hand-me-downs - my very favorite being one such dress. It must have been for Christmas as it had a black velvet skirt. I felt like a princess. We always "dressed" for church and weddings. If Mom and Dad went out to dinner with friends, it was always in a dress for Mom and a tie and jacket for Dad. I remember thinking how beautiful they looked.

What happened? Now we are so casual it is ridiculous. One person came to my father's memorial service in leggings and tennis shoes. Hard to dance at a wedding in flip flops. Who dresses up for a nice dinner at a restaurant any more? Phil and I were walking into a store last weekend and saw a young girl walking out in pajama bottoms and slippers. Jeez. My Mom would have killed me.

Remember when going on an airplane meant dressing up? Now most people look like they rolled out of bed and on to the plane. Not that I want to wear pantyhose every time I fly, but I do try to look somewhat nice while being comfortable.


I guess there is a time and place for everything. However, sweat pants do not belong at funerals nor shorts at formal weddings. As for me, while I am glad I live in the age of panty hose and non-pointy bras, I still love putting on a pretty dress and going to dinner or wearing a special outfit for the holidays or Easter.
And, if we as a society have gotten so casual with our dress, what else have we gotten casual about? Hmmm, I'll save that for another post.

No comments: