Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Quilt Fit for a Cat

When I was in Atlanta last March I was talking about quilts when my nephew Paul said, "Hey, you should make Lucky a quilt." If you read about Lucky in a previous post you will remember that Lucky is Paul's cat.






Well, the last thing in the world I wanted to do was make a quilt for a cat. I am extremely allergic to cats and therefore, not overly fond of them. A cat could literally kill me by its dander shutting down my respiratory system. But, the very next day after my return home I was in The Patched Works quilt store and saw this great cat material on sale. And, there was matching material on sale. And, there was great red material for the sashing. It would work into a great lap quilt. How could I resist? It would be masculine, not cute. I thought Paul would like it.








When it was pieced I went back thinking I would use a cheetah colored fabric for the background. Instead, I saw this great piano keys fabric. Paul has playing the piano since he was a kid and besides working a full time job, he is currently in 2 rock bands in the Atlanta area. So, how could I resist? Plus, The Patched Works had a great quilting design with musical notes.


A purrrrfect quilt.


I had one square extra (how did that happen?) so I made a pillow for Paul and used the cheetah fabric for the backing.





This Memorial weekend I am in Atlanta. It was Paul's 39th birthday on the 19th so the quilt will be the given to him when I see him. I'll post a picture when I get back.
I hope he likes it!





No comments: