Friday, March 05, 2010

Packing it Up!

Last week my wonderful sister, Suzanne, flew up and we spent 3 1/2 days packing and organizing my basement as well as other areas in preparation for the sale of my house.

Now, I am not a wuss and I can pack, but I was stuck in a rut and needed Suzanne to give me that swift kick in the butt to get going. She is good at that!

We got a lot accomplished and 72 boxes and bins are sealed, neatly labeled and ready to go. And, more boxes to pack. SEVENTY-TWO with more to come. Jeez - where did all this stuff come from? And, now I have 4 large boxes in my dining room full of quilts and quilt stuff. More of that, too. This doesn't include every day things that I will need until my house actually sells like pots and pans, dishes, etc.

Every night more "stuff" gets sorted through and packed or put into boxes for Goodwill. Friends and family are welcome to things they admired and would like for their own so a lot is leaving via the front door. My desk and curio cabinet are claimed and waiting to be moved (please come get them). I would much rather give things to friends and family than sell them on Craig's List. This way people will have a remembrance of me and something they like. Pictures/art work are bubble wrapped and not much is left on the walls. My home is becoming more and more depersonalized. Sigh.

I have contacted a couple of realtor's and one will be chosen this weekend. My house will be ready in a couple of weeks. I have a cleaning service coming in to do a heavy spring cleaning before any perspective buyers come in to view it. I am keeping my nephew busy with fixing broken light switches, moving things around and general "PLEASE COME OVER AND HELP ME DO XXXXX"

Yup. This is all happening. I am retiring and moving to Georgia. The Canton area of Georgia, close to the Blue Ridge and within a quick drive from Suzanne and my nephews.

It is exciting, fun and stressful.

And, I am scared to death!

1 comment:

sewprimitive karen said...

Wow, sounds like fun getting so much accomplished. Except I would be moving from Georgia to some midwestern state like Wisconsin lol.