Monday, June 21, 2010

Now You See Me, Now You Don't

I need window treatments for my kitchen window and glass door in my new home. Yes, it looks out to the green belt - full of trees, but this city girl is use to closing the house up at night.


My first night in my new home I sat down for a very late supper at my kitchen table and noticed my reflection in the window. I realized any one could look in and see me. I realized there was probably no one out there to look in and see me. I realized that being a woman who lived in the city all her life (single a great percentage of it) I always closed all curtains, blinds, drapes - whatever it was covering my windows as soon as it got dark. It is called self protection. In my 20s I took a women's self defence class offered by the Milwaukee Police Department. One piece of advice - close window treatments at dusk. I took it seriously.


So, sitting there eating dinner was freaking me out. I have nice blinds on every single window in my home (provided by the builder) and am slowly adding additional window treatments to these windows, but the builder seems to have forgotten the kitchen window and door. I hadn't noticed this before and since I had enough fabric from my last home to make valences for these two windows, that was my plan. Valences won't work now. They won't cover the whole window pane when darkness falls.

What to do? I settled on Romans shades. They don't take up much room or sunlight during the day, but would add the color needed in the room. Pulled down at night they would give my paranoid mind peace!

I've been pouring over catalogs and drapery internet sites and came up with nothing I liked. Nada. I googled a pattern to make my own, but it is a little beyond my capabilities. My sister Suzanne knows of an excellent seamstress in her area who can and will make them for me. Perfect. Now, to find material. I poured over internet options, visited local fabric shops. Nada. I knew just exactly what I wanted, but why isn't it out there?

Finally I found this fabric at Calico Corners (sounds like a quilt shop but it is not). It is as close to what I had pictured as possible and will go well with my china and other kitchen decor. As an old friend would say, "It is very Julie Ann-ish." And, it is. So, I will order the fabric, get it down to Georgia and in 2-3 months I should have my shades.

By that time I will probably be use to seeing my reflection in the window at night and realize there are no bogymen out there!

1 comment:

sewprimitive karen said...

Pretty fabric. Yeah, that just feels too strange to have those black windows at night.