Thursday, June 17, 2010

Long Drives/Good Books


I have been listening to audio books in my car for years. I just love it. Not only am I able to "read" more books, but it makes driving so much more pleasant. Audio books opened up a whole new world of books for me.


Some "readers" (the people who read the book on the CD, usually professional actors) I like better than others. I have reserved audio books from the public library based on the reader - again, leading me to books I probably never would have picked up and read.


Last month I drove to Canton, GA with my doggie girls to spend time settling into my new home. Thank goodness I had two audio books to listen to during the 13 1/2 hour drive down and then back. Listening to books made the long drive go by faster. On the way home, the last couple of hours I finished up the 2nd book I took for the trip. Luckily, I was able to listen to NPR the rest of the trip, but it wasn't the same.



In a week I will be making the long drive again. This time I am bringing 3 books on the trip. Over 30 hours of "reading" time. It is still a 13 1/2 drive for me and audio books or not, I'm still exhausted when I arrive and tired the next day. But, the drive time goes faster, I feel I stay more alert, and it's fun.


Try it. You'll like it!

P.S. All said and done - nothing will ever replace snuggling down in a comfy chair and just reading a good book. As much as I love my Kindle, which is also great for travel (although not while driving LOL), I still love turning the pages and losing my self in the magic of words.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I LOVE audio books!! I have an audible.com membership, I LOVE it. I can put them on my ipod and sew away.

Earthbound Spirit said...

You know I'm right there with you about audio books! I never would have survived my weekly commute from home to seminary and back without them. I'm popping an old favorite into the car CD player today to get me to a job interview and back. And yes - a good reader can make all the difference, a bad reader can ruin an excellent book.