Friday, July 23, 2010

Saying Goodbye Part III - Farewll MFD



I have worked in some great departments in my 32+ years with the City of Milwaukee. I have worked in some awful departments, too. I have met some "interesting" people and I have made lifelong friends. Working for the government has its perks. In over 32 years I have never asked for a raise, had excellent health insurance, never paid more than a few dollars for a prescription, had dental insurance, and great vacation benefits. When my parents were ill and needed my care I used FMLA time, no questions asked. If you work hard enough, promotions were available. I was able to move to different departments, learn a lot within each department and never lose a benefit. I must say that when I worked for the Milwaukee Public Schools I worked for some wacko principals, but overall the experience has been wonderful.

By far, the very best department I have ever worked for is the Milwaukee Fire Department, Bureau of Instruction and Training. Working last 7 years at the Academy has been an honor and a privilege. I worked with hard working, dedicated men and women who really care about the department. The amazing thing is that they put up with me!

My chief asked me what I wanted to do to celebrate my retirement. I said I wanted our annual potluck picnic back in the utility building. Nice and simple and no fuss (at least for me). And, that is what I got. Just what I wanted. I also received a plaque, flowers, lots of chocolate and hugs.

Here are pics of some of the awesome people I had the honor of working with.
With Captain Caroline
*****
Heide and Dave
*****
Chiefs Michael T and Michael
*****
Chris, Dave, John & Mark
*****
Gerard, Dan, Mark and Darrin
*****
My friend Martha and I had a hard time getting together,
so she joined us at the Academy. Martha and I met at DCD
*****
Last but not least, Judy and me.
I loved working with Judy the last 7 years. Thanks for not only being
a great co-worker, but a wonderful friend, too. You're the best!

1 comment:

sewprimitive karen said...

What a nice bunch of people!