Saturday, October 02, 2010

Chandelier

Getting ready to start cleaning

Years ago I purchased an antique chandelier for around $80.  It sat in my basement in Milwaukee for years.  I hauled it along when I moved to Georgia.  Good thing.  I had a ugly, cheap "chandelier" in my dining area that I hated.

Yuck.  How ugly is this light fixture?  Even if I had purchased little shades for it I would not have liked it.

When Sally was visiting last July we were talking about the ugly light fixture and I mentioned the chandelier in the garage.  So, we hauled it out and took a good look at it.  Then we removed all of the prisms, and I purchased some Brasso and started cleaning.  No easy task. I rubbed and I rubbed and I rubbed.  But the results were worth it.
If you look at the edge on the left, you can see the difference of "after" polishing,  The rest has not been cleaned.



 The "arms" that I removed to make cleaning easier.


I had it all rewired and after some chasing around found additional chain for it.  I also learned that it was probably made between 1900-1930, so finding more chain was lucky, as it has a pattern on it (sorry no picture of it)


This picture doesn't do it justice.

It now graces my dining room.  I love it!  It has over 76 prisms and I am still missing 6-8 of them.  Luckily, I can order them online and will be doing so.  But it looks great.  It is on a dimmer switch and at night, it glimmers and shimmers.

Glimmering and shimmering.  Well, maybe my hand moved a little!
It was worth the wait!

1 comment:

sewprimitive karen said...

That's really pretty, Julie-Ann.