Friday, January 21, 2011

Lover's Knot Quilt (or how I almost lost my sanity)

Block A - I made 56 of these blocks, easy enough, but time consuming
Several years ago I purchased yards and yards and yards of the four fabrics above.   My intent was to make a quilt to be used in a new home.  I purchased enough fabric for not only king sized quilt, but to make window treatments and pillows. 


Block B - I made 42 of these blocks, still easy
 A couple of years later a found a pattern I thought would be great for the material, Lover's Knot. (yes, I know - the "normal" thing is to find the pattern, then purchase all of the material.) I bought the pattern book, which is by Eleanor Burns.  I find her books/patterns to be very simple if you carefully follow the directions.  I remember my friend, Jen, commenting that both she and her mother made this quilt, but her mother got the blocks turned around.  The quilt still came out OK, but she cautioned me to be very careful when placing the blocks and to keep them in order.

Well, things changed in my life.  I debated if I want to use this material or make this particular quilt.  But, I decided I loved the material and the pattern, to make the quilt in a queen size and decorate my bedroom around it.  I finally started it during the ice storm when I was housebound for five days.  The quilt consists of combining the A Blocks and B blocks, along with a few triangle pieces, to make five different blocks (Blocks C-G) , which in turn, make the quilt.


Block C - Combining 36 blocks of both Blocks A and B to make 18 C blocks.
This is where I messed up - kept turning them the wrong way.  This is the
foundation block of the quilt, so it has to be right. Looks simple until you try it.
But, at least you can start to see the green "knots"
Seems I can't follow directions nor did I heed Jen's advice. I found Eleanor's instructions for sewing the blocks together to make Block C very confusing.  I stared at these blocks in complete confusion while arranging them.  And, I had to do a little ripping apart, but not much, thankfully.  I finally give up on the written instructions and just followed the final illustration of how Block C should look.  And, it worked!   The following Blocks (D-G) went quickly because they were easier to figure out. 

Block D - made 6 and used up all of Block B and used 12  of  Block A
(can you see the 1 Block B and 2 Block A's?)

Block E - love the triangles  - made four

Block F - made two

Final Block - G - made 2 - used up all of Block A
and now I am ready to put them all together and make the quilt top.
The quilt is pieced together on the diagonal, which I have only done once before.   But Eleanor's diagram is excellent and it is starting to come together very quickly.  Below are pictures of Rows 1-4.  Four more rows to go, a triple border and I am DONE!  I will purchase the backing material and off it will go to  Meandering Mary to be professionally quilted.

Now the light and the dark "knots" are visible.  It's working!
Can you see all of blocks I made?
  Each one has been used at least once so far.


I am really liking this quilt and am so glad I decided to go ahead and make it.

And, this is one of the reasons I just love quilting.  When looking at all these blocks individually, I admit thinking that it can't all come together.  But, it does.  And, I get to keep my sanity.

4 comments:

Susan said...

I'm so glad that you kept going and are going to finish the quilt. It is coming out so nice.
I bought the Eleanor Burns book years ago, and have always been too afraid to try the pattern--exactly for the reasons you gave. I never believed I would be able to follow those complicated instructions. Now that I see it can be done, maybe I will finally give it a try. You have inspired me!

Julie-Ann said...

Susan - Overall, it really was easy. The hardest part was making all of those first 2 blocks (A & B). Then I just followed the diagrams in the book. I have only been quilting over 3 years and I was able to do it! The quilt turned out just lovely and is off being quilted.

Go for it, but be sure to keep me up-to-date on your progress!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh that is gorgeous! I love the pattern but haven't dared to try it myself. Do you mind to let me know the size your quilt turned out? I'm bad with all the maths but thought after looking at your work, I might give this a shot for my wedding quilt. :) Thanks!

~Amy

Julie-Ann said...

Amy - As long as you carefully follow the instructions as to keeping the individual "piles" of blocks together, it will work out fine. This quilt is HUGE! It would easily fit a king size bed. I have it on a queen. I will be writing another post about it in a month or so when my master bedroom is completely finished. I made pillows to go on the bed that match and bring in another color to the room. It is awesome. Make the quilt! You will be happy you did.

JA