Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Quilts for Kids

Downy Touch of Comfort Program offers a wonderful volunteer program for quilters.   They provide the fabric and quilters make quilts for children in the hospital.  Click here to see a video, but beware - it may cause a tear or two.  There is several comments made in the video that really touched me.  One is made by a volunteer about how this program affected her and why she does it.  I know exactly what she means.

The first quilt I made for this great program
I heard about this great program last winter and immediately requested a kit.  It arrived promptly; however, I got involved in the move to Georgia and the kit was put aside.  Recently, I dug out the kit and made my first quilt.  I requested another kit and before I knew it, it arrived so now I will be send both quilts back this week.  The kit includes instructions for a very simple quilt along with pre-cut material.  The quilter provides the batting, thread and must complete the quilt - basic quilting and binding.  All quilts must  be completely machine stitched to hold up in the hospital washing machines.  The quilter also pays for the postage to send the quilt back.  These quilts can be finished in a day if you really concentrate on it, or in a few evenings or a weekend.

Originally, the program's goal was to make 10,000 quilts for children, but it as received well over 20,000 quilts.  How wonderful is that? 

Second quilt I have made.  You can see they are the exact same pattern.
I am hoping to make at least one quilt a month and will keep requesting kits. I will also purchase material on my own.  There is a spot on the website where you may download different quilt patterns, if you wish.

Personally, I find making these quilts so rewarding.   My mother was a nurse and for many years worked in pediatrics, which was near and dear to her heart.  I have found that while sewing these  these quilts I felt very close to her.  I would like to think that each quilt I make through this program she is with me when I make them.  I guess I am also making them in her honor. 

If you are interested in learning about this program (and I hope you are), please click on the link above. 

No comments: