Sunday, April 03, 2011

GIDDY UP

********************


Yee Haw!


Last month I went with my MeetUp group to Georgia Frontiers for an afternoon of horseback riding.  Now, I am not a horse woman, but have gone riding here and there over the course of my life time.  It had been around four years since I'd been on a horse and I totally enjoyed myself.

I  was in the beginner rider group.  Some of these brave
souls had never been on a horse!
Eighteen of us went.  The first nine out were experienced riders who would take their horses on gallops and I believe take a more difficult trail.  I wasn't quite ready for that!  While they were gone we were entertained by Cowboy Roger, owner of Georgia Frontiers and we ate our picnic lunches that we had brought along.  It was a beautiful day and we enjoyed each other's company and Roger's stories.


I'm glad my horse, Shadow, had more get up and go then this guy!
I rode Shadow, a very nice horse with pep.  The trails were well maintained and the scenery was outstanding - this is in the mountains and the views very pretty.  We got the horses up to a trot, which was fun for me, but scary for other's.  I heard a little screaming from the back of the group when the horses got up to a trot!  I think they were hanging on for dear life.

No one fell off!
This MeetUp is a great way to get out and do things with nice people.  I am trying to schedule at least two events a month with this particular MeetUp group and am making friends.  Some of the activities I've been to are bingo nights, a potluck Greek dinner, dog training school, various lunches, hiking with the dogs, etc.  It's fun.  I've also joined two book clubs through MeetUp. 

This month I'm participating in a moonlight horseback riding event at Georgia Frontiers that includes a dinner and a bonfire.  I think it will be a blast, but I am sure going to try to get up there and ride a couple of times before I ride in the moonlight!

No comments: