Monday, August 08, 2011

FABULOUS CONTAINER GARDENS

So, I noticed my favorite southern gardening book, Easy Gardens for the South, sitting on my supervisor's desk at the library.  I mentioned that my sister gave me the book and she gives it to everyone who moves to Georgia.  It is a great book.  Cheryl told me that as a fund raiser for the Cherokee County Historical Society, the author, who just happens to live in Canton, was hosting a tour of her container gardens.  Besides the Easy Gardens book, she has written several books on container gardens.


Walking up to the house and gardens

Several phone calls later I went on the tour with my sister, Suzanne, and friends Nancy and Phyllis.  Several members of Suzanne's garden club attended, also. 

Pamela Crawford lives on over 40 acres of wooded property.  It is really pretty.  Most of her gardens are in containers, but she also has beautiful flower beds, too.  (Although in after thought I wonder how she keeps the deer away.)  The evening of the tour the weather was not great, but fortunately we were able to view and study the containers before the rain.  Her watering system is unbelievable, too!  When asked where she purchases most of her plants she stated one local nursery, but also said she purchases most from Lowe's and Home Depot. She starts buying flowers as soon as they appear at the garden centers and arranges the pots in her yard by color and then starts planting the containers. She keeps planting over a couple of months time. I must say she has a great eye for color and texture. The containers are fabulous.


Enjoy the pictures!



Hanging baskets and ground plants

Close up of plants

Huge pots on the driveway.  Love the colors!
 
Sitting area on driveway

She grows not only flowers in her containers, but veggies, too!

Looking down to the lower porch from the upper porch

One of the smaller water containers - rain water

 
Phyllis is having a great time!

Eggplant growing in a container

Another area of large containers holding both flowers and veggies

Herbs that go well with chicken!  What a great idea! (I'm stealing it next year!)
 

Herbs for beef and pork!  Love it!

Huge water tank
 
Pretty close up - love the blue, yellow and green

Nancy was in awe, like all of us!  That container behind her
was loaded with cherry tomatoes, herbs and flowers.


No comments: