Sunday, August 28, 2011

Happy Birthday to ME!

One of the cards I received for my birthday.  How true!
I turned 56 on August 23.  I spent a lot of time during my birthday week thinking about the differences between my 55th and 56th birthdays.

Last year was such a turmoil for me.  Good things like retirement, purchasing my beautiful new home and moving to Georgia - while all good, were still stressful and took adjustment.  Then the bad things - the death of someone special to me during my move and the death of my beloved dogs within three weeks of each other.  I had to put my little Gracie down at what was suppose to be an early family birthday celebration last August 21.  Some 55th birthday celebration.  I cried the whole day of my birthday. I was drained, battered and emotionally and spiritually exhausted.  I remember thinking that I would never be happy again.

A year has passed.  Things change, time moves on and so did I.


At my family birthday celebraion.  I'm smiling this year!
This year I had a great birthday.  I am in a much better place in my life. 
I've made friends here in Georgia and enjoy spending time with them.  My book club got together for lunch and to see the movie "The Help" and the day we could all get together happened to be right on my birthday.  My sister joined us and I had a great day with them.   

I've become active in my subdivision, starting a yahoo group for community communication,  serving on both the pool and grounds committees and I've made friends that way.  There are great people living here!

I have a great part time job at the local library.  I enjoy going into work and time flies by while I am there (well, usually!).  I am learning so much and work with good people. 

MeetUp has introduced me to new people.  While I have slowed down on participating with one of the social activites groups, I plan to start attending the events again.  It is a good way to get out and meet people and learn the area.

My finances are slowly getting into shape.  I'm taking a 13-week financial class, which is really helping me not only budget better, but save more money and plan more aggressively for the future. 

My friends in Wisconsin and other parts of the US and beyond continue to be the "wind beneath my wings" and I am so thankful for the calls, cards, emails, etc., that keep us linked.  My family here in Georgia are so supportive and I don't know what I would do without them.  I am so blessed with love and support.  Two friends will be coming down to visit me within the next few months and I look forward to their visits.

I started to date again.  While my first attempt didn't work out, it was good to realize that there are good men out there.  It was a positive experience for me. (He also made my birthday very special even though it ended right afterwards.)   I realize I have a lot to give to a relationship.  Hopefully, next time I venture to date again it will work out to be a lasting relationship.  And, in the meantime, I am OK by myself.  I'll take a break before dating again.  But, I won't wait too long.  I enjoyed his company and our time together showed me I want a man in my life.

Little things mean so much.  I enjoy the birds at my feeders, delighting in the hummingbirds and butterflies at my plants.  My early morning walks with Sam and Oliver, while the day is cool or later in the evenings when the neighbors are out and we stop to chat.  Having the community pool all to my self and floating on my back, watching the clouds.  Sitting in my porch for a few minutes each evening before bed, listening to the creatures of the night.  These "little things" add to my appreciation of life.

I made it one year without anything traumatic happening to me.  I hope I have been supportive of my friends and family who have had some difficulties this year, as they were to me in 2010. 

I know good and bad things happen to everyone.  I know things will change.  But, it is good and a relief to say that that I am happy.  I am at peace.  I'm moving forward.  Life is good.

Happy birthday, Julie Ann!  

Thank you - it was a good one! 

No comments: