Tuesday, August 09, 2011

HOME FOR TOADS IN MY LITTLE TOAD GARDEN

Living in Milwaukee all my life I must say I never saw a toad in my house or yard.  Over the years I had a few run ins with mice, which was pretty creepy, but never toads. 
Basil growing in my toad garden.  I guess that
doesn't sound too appealing, but it works!
Here in Georgia, my house backs up to a greenbelt. There is a creek further down.  And, I have toads.  In my yard.  Now, they don't really bother me.  Sam likes to chase them, but he doesn't try to eat them - a good thing for both Sam and the toads. 

Geraniums don't do too well down here, but this pot
is in a shaded area of the toad garden and seems to be thriving.
The other night I was in my kitchen and something on the floor jumped.  I screamed.  Well, it was more like a "YEEEEK!"  I did a funky little foot dance, too.  There was a tiny toad in my kitchen (much better than a mouse any day).  When I realized it wasn't a snake or a mouse, I grabbed the dust pan and got the toad to hop on to it.  Needless to say, Sam was of no help - thinking he had another new playmate in the house.  But, once in the dust pan the toad was gently placed back in the grass where it belongs.  This little guy had hopped his way into my screen porch and into the kitchen.  I keep the kitchen door open when it is cool so the dogs can go onto the porch and use the porch doggie door to get outside.  So, this little toad hopped quite a bit to make it into my kitchen.  I'm sure he was exhausted.  Lucky for him, he got a free ride back out.


Grandpa Toad lives under the drainage diverter.
Under the drain spout diverter near my porch lives Grandpa Toad.  He is pretty big.  He is pretty ugly.  He and I have a pretty good understanding.  I don't lift up the diverter, he stays there and leaves me alone.  I think he is the reason for all of the little toads in my yard.  That's OK.  Toads eat bugs.  They are good to have around and don't cause any harm.  I have dug out a little flower bed where Grandpa Toad lives and have been playing around with plants, containers and even a small solar powered fountain.  He has a nice backyard for himself and his kin.

Gnome toad house with an herb  pot in my little "toad" garden
 Then I remembered that there are such things as Toad Houses.  Who thinks of these things?  So I checked them out.  And, of course, I had to purchase a couple.  Well, I thought a little whimsy in this little corner of my yard might be fun.  And, goofy as it is, it is fun.  It makes me laugh.  And, that is always a good thing!


"Prince" toad house and bird solar fountain with my beautiful lantana.
 Will Grandpa Toad move into a house?  Probably not.  He has a nice little place burrowed in the dirt under the diverter.  But, maybe one of the youngin's will move in.  Maybe not.  Who cares?  It is silly.  It is fun.  And, sometimes I need a little fun and silliness.  Toads and all.


I brought this little bird with me from Milwaukee.  I'm glad I did.
It works well with the toads.
P.S.  Don't even think of asking me if I will or have ever kissed a toad.  NO WAY!  I don't need a prince that bad!

No comments: