Friday, October 28, 2011

Adopting Animals


A friend of my lost her beloved cat last summer.  She deeply mourned her cat.  I can understand this.  I lost my dogs, Lucy Lou and Gracie in August 2010, within three weeks of each other.  Both were "rescued" dogs.  I had sweet Lucy Lou about 5 years and I had my Gracie over 10 years.  I still miss them.  I still cry over my Gracie.  I can understand her feelings of loss.

Now she is ready to open her heart to a new kitty.  She went to a local shelter and they charged $105 for adoption fees.  This did not include having the cat neutered or spayed.  She balked at paying that price.  She went on Facebook and complained about the high price for a cat.

Now, I have strong feelings about adopting animals for shelters and/or rescue groups.  My Sam came from a "pound" (Cherokee County Humane Society) and he was the best $75 I ever spent.  Oliver, too, came from the Cherokee County Animal Shelter (via being found wondering in my subdivision).  I paid $125 for him (well worth every penny).  Both were checked out by the shelter's vet and were neutered as part of the fee.  The adoption fee also included a free vet check up from a selected group of vets in my area.  The place I got Sam from included a "chip" in his shoulder and a one year membership to Home Again, the organization that keeps track of the dogs with chips. So, a lot was included in their fees.  And, I appreciate that.




So, what's the point here?

Probably 99% of all shelters are run on a "wing and a prayer."  They depend on tons of dedicated volunteers and tons of fund raisers and little money from the municipality or county they are located in.  These volunteers spend hundreds of hours on behalf of the animals they serve.  Their costs for adoption vary and they are all struggling to survive.

Tanya's Henry. 
 My friend, Tanya, is one of these volunteers.  When I first met her after moving to Georgia, Tanya was fondly known in my subdivision as the "puppy lady."  Besides her own dog, Henry, Tanya would foster litters of puppies.  Sometimes she had as many as 6-8 puppies.  She supplied the food, the toys, the bowls they ate out of (and chewed), the towels and rugs used to keep them warm.  She clean up after them and made sure they here happy pups.  Plus, she paid for cleaning those rugs and towels (her own washer and dryer).  She named every single one of them and watched their littler personalities develop as they grew.  She took them to the vet.  She would bathe each one before taking them to and from the adoption places.  All on her own time.  All of her own money.  Tanya probably fostered 5 or 6 litters.  Now she is working part time and due to time constraints has only two dogs she is fostering, plus the occasional one that needs an immediate home.  This is dedication and this is love of animals.

My friend who is looking for  a kitty to adopt is a kind and loving woman.  I know she will take wonderful care of a new kitty.  But, I guess my point is - if you can't afford or if you need to complain about the  $105 adoption fee and then pay for a vet visit and spaying/neutering, maybe you can't afford to have a pet.  In my opinion, it is a small price to pay for the love a cat or dog gives you for years and years to come.  Plus, you are helping hundreds of other animals survive and find loving homes. You're helping the animal shelters stay open and you are helping the volunteers who work for these shelters by taking some of the financial burden off of them (although they very rarely get reimbursed for any thing and most wouldn't take the money if offered). 

I figured out I probably spend at close to $1,000 a year on my dogs.  This includes annual visit to the vet, various shots, heart worm prevention meds for both, the occasional trip to the vet for an unexpected illness (I spent around $750 on surgeries for Sam this year which increased the yearly cost), food, leashes, collars, treats, beds, pet sitting costs and other miscellaneous expenses. 

$105 for adoption fees? 

Sam and Oliver being lazy
A small price to pay for years of love and devotion.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I agree with you 100%. Maddie was from Elmbrook Humane Society and I think the total on her was $250. She was spayed. Heck, spaying alone costs $300 or more. I would adopt from EBHS again because they also rehabbed her from her parvo for FREE. (Wisconsin Humane Society would not have done that). I know this wasn't free to them, but man it meant the world to us. We keep going back for activities at the humane society because anything we can do to pay them back for saving her life is well worth it. Had they not paid for it, we would have - it's part of adopting an animal and keeping them safe.