Friday, October 07, 2011

Red Work Quilt

I started quilting around four years ago.  I remember when I first when to my favorite Wisconsin quilt shop, Ye Olde Schoolhouse, for the first time.  I signed up for my first quilting lesson.  I also purchased a kit to make nine red work blocks.  Jeannie, the owner of the store, cut the muslin for me and showed me the pen I would need to trace the individual patterns onto each block.  Eventually, all blocks would be completed, sewn together and quilted.

Yeah, right.  I had no idea how much work it would be.  Although I must say, I really enjoy red work and will do more of it.  It just took forever.  Lots of quilts in between, lots of binding got in the way.

Four years later I finally finished the last block.  I squared each block, picked out material to "frame" the blocks and put it all together.  Each block is 18".

It is more of a throw size. 
It was worth the wait.

Close up of the red work
I just need to purchase the backing and it will be sent up to Wisconsin for Mary to quilt for me.

Another view (the blue is the quilt used on the bed underneath).
I love it. 

No comments: