Saturday, December 24, 2011

Annual Holiday Letter

Solstice 2011


Dear Family & Friends –

“All is calm, all is bright.” These famous lyrics just about sums up my year, thank goodness!

The beginning of the year found me still in the healing process from events in 2010 and adjusting to my new life in Georgia. One bright day in February I woke up and thought, “Hey, I am a pretty happy woman!” That thought still is true today.

In January I adopted my second dog, Oliver. Found wandering my subdivision on a cold night between Christmas and New Year’s, Oliver was dirty and thin, but had a bright spirit. He joined Sam and me and they quickly became best doggie friends. Oliver (the brown dog in the photos) is around 4 years old and I’m pretty sure a pure bred Shih Tzu, but he might have a little mix of something else thrown in Oliver and Sam keep me entertained 24/7. Sam is smart and active. Oliver . . . well, let’s just say Oliver is pretty laid back!

Spring brought travel and guests. I spent Easter in Mesa, AZ visiting with my friend, Nancy and my sister, Linda. One highlight was meeting my second cousin, Nate, a student at Arizona State University. The last time I saw Nate he was about six weeks old. Obviously, he looks a little different! LOL He is a great young man. It was good to see his mom, Kay, too.

March brought Martha for a visit. Unfortunately, it rained her whole visit, but we had a good time despite the weather. April brought my friend, David, down for a week. David got a kick out of the “southern accent.” I was so happy to show him my new “digs.” In May my friend, Kate, came for a few days. We didn’t have much time, but enjoyed shopping in Blue Ridge and great conversation. So, a lot of sightseeing was packed in these visits! And, when each friend left my house felt very, very quiet.

In June I started working for the Sequoyah Regional Library System at the local branch as a Research Assistant. It is a fabulous part time job for me. I love working in a library, enjoy the patrons and my co-workers are great. I average 15-18 hours a week and the money has really come in handy. I am so fortunate to have this job. I love going to work!

Martha came down again in October. This time the weather cooperated and we enjoyed some hikes and the beautiful fall scenery in the mountains. I discovered some beautiful roads and areas to explore. She also gave me a book on hiking trails in northern Georgia so I expect her to visit again this spring and we will put the book to good use.

Thanksgiving brought Sally here for nine days. Amy joined us and a great Thanksgiving was spent with Suzanne, Marlon and Paul. I loved having them here. We had fun cooking and talking, and talking and talking. A couple of weeks later, gal pal, Miki, stopped in for a few hours while she was here at a work related meeting. Trying to catch up on a year is always difficult in such a short time and I hope next year when Miki comes down we have more time.

I am having fun doing activities with several MeetUp groups. We went horseback riding twice this year, something I didn’t expect to enjoy as much as I did. I am considering some lessons this spring. My monthly women’s book discussion group has led to some wonderful friendships. I just joined another women’s group via MeetUp, where once a month we meet at a restaurant in the greater Atlanta area. Another way to meet people and learn the area. I am also on my subdivision’s pool and grounds committee. I am fortunate to live in a subdivision with so many great neighbors. I love living here in my subdivision, town and state. Moving to Georgia was the best decision I ever made.

Winter Solstice will be spent having bunion removal surgery on my left foot. Not exactly the way I want to spend one of my favorite days. It is elective surgery, but one that has to be done. I expect to be in a “boot” for around four weeks and will miss two weeks of work.

Peace and gratitude are two words that come to mind when I think of 2011. So much gratitude. I hope your year was filled with the same. May the returning light of this most holy time of the year bring you peace and gratitude now and throughout the New Year.

No comments: