Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Autograph Quilt

Moving from my life long home of Milwaukee in 2010, I left a lot of friends behind.  But, some of my friends had already moved from Milwaukee long before me and over the years I have made friends in other states and countries, as well.

No matter where they are or where I am, I miss my friends.  I've made some great friends here in Georgia and I do not mean to sound like I am slighting them, but lately I've been missing people not only in Wisconsin, but all over.  Anne in Ireland, Beth in Florida, Nancy in Arizona, Nikki in California, Sally, Becky and Miki in Michigan. 

So, I decided to make an autograph quilt.  These quilts were probably originally made for people in pioneer days who left family to travel by covered wagon to the western states.  Love ones would sign scraps of fabric and these pieces would be put together and made into a quilt for the families leaving.  Chances were that you would never see these loved ones again and maybe never have any further communication with them.  These quilts were treasured as a way to remember family and friends.

Historically, another way autograph quilts were used was for fund raising.  Community groups would solicit famous people for their autographs and make autograph quilts to be raffled off to fund the building of schools or libraries.

Well, my quilt won't be that noble.  I just feel it would be a nice way to have my friends around me!

I went online to find an autograph quilt pattern and did find one I like.  It is a "star" pattern.  I decided on a black and white quilt.  The stars will either be black floral on a white background or white floral on a black background.  I might do a red inner border to make it pop.  The sample shows an inner border  with half square triangles as the outer border alternating the two floral fabrics.  It was also important to find fabric that I liked, but was not too flowery for the men who will be signing it!  I will make sure they get the darker fabric (see sample below).

I just started sending out quilt squares to my friends far and wide.  Along with  the squares are special quilt pens and a letter explaining the concept.  Hopefully, they will embrace the idea and honor me with their signatures, words, drawings or whatever they want to put on the little piece of material.  Many friends will not receive their square until after the holidays.  I don't want anything to get lost in the holiday mail frenzy or set aside by a friend who is too busy to sit down and complete their part of the project.


I was able to have my friend, Miki, sign a square when she was here a few weeks ago. I quickly sewed it into the first block!  One down, twenty-four more to go (more or less).  Several of my church ladies are meeting soon, so a bunch of squares were sent to Joanne and she will make sure they are signed and returned. 
Miki wishes me peace, love and happiness

This will be one of my many winter quilt projects.  I'm so looking forward to seeing what my friends write on the squares!  But, no matter what they write, I know that this will be the  best and most cherished quilt I will ever make.

No comments: