Tuesday, October 14, 2014

QUILT BLOCK SWAP - CHURN DASH

I joined an online quilting group dedicated to swapping quilt blocks.  Well, that is how it started, but now we are planning much more - more swaps, blocks of the month and even quilting retreats. I see friendships forming, ideas spinning, great tips and suggestions shared, and lots of fun going on. There are about 139 of us from all over the United States.

For our first swap it was decided we would make 12" (finished) churn dash blocks.  We had to purchase Kona white fabric for the background and the "dashes" could be any fabric we wanted as long as it was bright colors.  We had to submit at least 12 blocks and we would get 12 blocks back.  Many of us submitted more than that - I made and submitted 24 blocks.  As many blocks as we submitted, we would get back.
The 24 blocks I submitted.  I used many different fabrics.
Sorry it is on an angle!
Our blocks also had to include our name and city/state attached to each block submitted.  I used address labels, but some of the ladies got very creative and included little notes with each block they made. Reading those was fun as it added a very personal touch.  We sent our blocks to Jessica (our fearless leader) and included a self addressed, stamped envelope so she could send the new blocks back to us.

The deadline was September 15 and by September 26, Jessica started mailing out the swap blocks.

Jessica sure had her hands full distributing the blocks- 510 blocks were submitted by 37 ladies from 18 different states!  Quite impressive!  I didn't envy her the job of randomly selecting the blocks sent to each of us or organizing and mailing out all those blocks, but she did it and did a fabulous job of doing it!  Each of us received blocks from different women and none of our own were returned to us.  I did get two blocks from Allison, but they were each made with different material so it worked perfectly.

I was out of town the week mine arrived, but it only made the anticipation so much more fun!  Here are the 24 blocks I received.


Aren't they beautiful?

Such great fabrics were used by the ladies
Here are some close up samples of the various materials used.

Roxanne used  fabric that is out of this world!  For 
those who know me, she couldn't have picked a batter fabric!

Denise used this very pretty fabric.  She found it in her
grandmother's fabric stash.  Love it!

Amy used magnifying glass fabric from the 
Nancy Drew fabric line (no longer available)

Laura used John Deere fabric.  How cool is this?  Great colors, too!

Some fabrics are bright and add so much to the 
overall design like this batik block made by Jessica

But, what to do with them?  Since I have several other projects going on right now I decided to be lazy and sash them together and add a border.  But, what color sashing? I went to my trusty quilt store in The Quilt Shop on Main in Jasper, GA and with the help of the quilt store ladies, decided on a subtle black batik.  I don't think you can really see it, but the fabric has waves of deep blues and grays.

Starting the sashing  process
But, I still wasn't happy.  I had 24 blocks so the quilt top could be four blocks across and six blocks down.  I needed a border, too.  I went through my stash and found the perfect border fabric that I had used as a backing on another quilt.  And, I actually had enough!  Then I got a great idea.  I could add another block and make a square quilt - five blocks across and five blocks down.  The new block I would put in the center using the border fabric to tie it all together.  Then I thought of something even better.  I would do it in reverse - like a negative of the other blocks.  The middle block would stand out and really add a punch to the quilt top.

Happy with my fabric choice

So, now to get down to business and add the rest of the sashing.

See the "negative" block in the middle?

 Finally got the sashing completed.  Now on to the borders!

I have to admit I wasn't sure about the black sashing,
but now I love it and think it highlights each
individual block.
  Reminds me of stained glass
Here is the end result.  I could not be happier with this quilt top.

Awesome!   Sam and Lady like it, too!
So glad I did the "negative block in the middle!  Thanks to my
great neighbors, Valerie and Phyllis who are hiding behind the quilt!

It is hard to believe that all of those different blocks, different materials of all different colors and patterns would come together to make such a fabulous quilt top.  All due to the ladies who made each unique block.  How blessed am I to have participated in this swap?

We also decided to do a Christmas theme block exchange.  Those blocks were due October 15.  Rules were the same - at least 12 blocks had to be submitted and as many as you submit, you will get back.  I made 20 blocks before I ran out of fabric.  Can't wait to see the blocks I receive for this swap.

Special thanks to the following 23 ladies from 15 different states who made the very beautiful and special blocks for my quilt:

Josephine H., Carver, MA           Jessica L., Toledo, OH                  Kristy C., Greenfield, IN
Martha M., Quincy, FL                 Pam G, New London, OH              Erlinda R., Goodyear, AZ
Allison H., AK  (2 blocks)           Sheri P., WY                                 Donna B., TX        
Alberta M., Sunbury OH              Rita S., Terrell, TX                       Amy G., Tallahassee, FL
Tricia H., Kingman, AZ               Kaitlin D., Athens, GA                  Laura R., Council Buffs, IA
Darlene R., Pearland, TX            Judy Wilson, Brazoria, TX            Mary B., Northern VA
Denise O., Centerville, TN          Emeli P., Hampton, VA                 Roxanne L., Kokomo, IN
Margie H., Milton, WI                 Carol M., Big Fork, MT                        

1 comment:

Amy Gill said...

Yours is beautiful and looks so even.