Sunday, September 20, 2009

Unknown Quilt (aka Quilt from Hell Project)

Blocks 1 and 2 - Homespun Block (top) and Georgetown Circle (the easy one bottom). Fat quarter was the brown fabric.


Jeannie, of Ye Olde Schoolhouse, gave us blocks 3 and 4 of the quilt we are making this year. To recap a previous post, she gives us one fat quarter a month and two block patterns. The only requirement is to make the blocks and use the fat quarter fabric in each block.


She also said that each month one block would be "easy" and one "more difficult." If you remember from a previous post, the directions are almost nonexistent.



Close up of the Homespun block, which, despite some real difficulty for me, I just love.


This month the "easy" block I did put together in a few hours. The "difficult" block took me at least 12 hours. I'm not kidding. Seriously, there are no instructions - just pictures to go by. Jeannie did give us a couple of key measurements such as the flying geese should be 2" x 3 1/2" but that is the extent of it.

Blocks 3 and 4 - Arrow Crown) (top) and Old Favorite (the easy one on the bottom) Fat quarter was the center square in each block





Arrow Crown block must have been designed by a very wicked quilter!

I am finding this very difficult, frustrating and hair pulling! However, I am learning about color placement and how to dissect a quilt block. So, while I may be bald by the time this quilt is finished I will have learned a lot!

I am also using more color and fabric in the difficult blocks and trying to make the easy blocks very simple (3 fabrics only thus far). Maybe I am making more work for myself, but I like the look.



Four blocks down, 20 more to go - if I survive.

5 comments:

Jen said...

I think they turned out great!! Can a person join late? I was trying to find info on their site and thought I could run out there today but it appears they are closed on Mondays.

Julie-Ann said...

Jeannie is only open Wednesday-Saturday. Wednesdays she is open late.

I'm sure you can still join. It is the Ladies Friendship group and we meet the 2nd Thursday of every month. Jeannie charges you only for the fat quarter.

Her fabrics are mainly reproduction fabrics, but as you can see, I am trying to mix those with more current fabrics.

Ha! I didn't know you could read Greek! LOL

Earthbound Spirit said...

That arrow crown block looks difficult, but it also looks gorgeous! The colors are nice & vibrant!

Julie-Ann said...

Thanks, dear friend. Reproduction fabrics can sometimes be dark and a little drab so I am trying to brighten them up a little. Who knows? Next month she could fool me with a bright color, but I doubt it!

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Can't wait to see the finished quilt! I am ready for quilt weather, ready for fall.

Hey, did you see that Tamara's blog is open again?

Thanks for stopping by!
~Misti