Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Blue and White Forever!

Blue Danube plate with Broken Dishes fabrics. Yum!




I have always loved the mixture of blue and white, especially on fabric and dishes. My eye automatically is drawn to blue and white and I like a little yellow mixed in. Ever since I was a little girl, with the exception of a few years, I have had a blue and white bedroom. It's funny how certain things like this can call to you your whole life. Same thing regarding artwork with flowers and birds. If you look at the artwork in my house or little decorations, it is mostly flowers and birds.









Kitchen corner cabinet with display of my china. Close up of a vase

























When I was 17 I started collecting Blue Danube china. For over 40 years I considered it my "good china." When my parents moved into a independent living facility years ago, Mom gave me her good china. It is dainty and elegant and I love using it. My poor blue and white dishes were backed in boxes for years. Just over 4 years ago I had my kitchen completely remodeled, down to the wall studs. I picked out white cabinets with tons of glass doors, grayish blue Corian counter tops and yellow walls with splashes of red in artwork. I decided life is too short to keep things for "good" and never use them, so I donated my old CorningWare dishes to Goodwill and brought out my beloved Blue Danube china, which I still am collecting.


Antique creamer & sugar bowl & Blue Danube Irish coffee set





Last December my sister, Suzanne, and I went up to Dalongah, GA to check out a quilt store. I found a little quilt kit entitled "China Dishes." It has all blue and white fabric. I love it. Now, I am finally getting around to piecing it. I think the fabrics are beautiful and am having fun working on it. Once all of the "dishes" are made, I will have to arrange them before sewing them together. I'm excited about doing that process. All these pretty blue and white fabrics.




I am very careful when I shop for fabric, though. I really try to pick out other colors, such as in my Friendship Star quilt. Otherwise, they would all be various shades of blue or purple with white, yellow and red. Same thing with decorating my home. Not a bad thing, but maybe a little too much of a good thing!

2 comments:

MARCIE said...

Wow, beautiful dishes! And your corner cabinet looks wonderful. I would love to re-do my kitchen and have a few glass front doors like that. Yours looks very pretty! Your broken dishes quilt will be fun to make.

Earthbound Spirit said...

Blue & white are a very attractive combination. My sister-in-law collects Delft ware, made in Delft, The Netherlands (though a few of her pieces are less than authentic). I have a few - souvenirs from our travels. The blue is slightly different from the Blue Danube china I think. We will have to compare sometime!