Sunday, October 18, 2009

Pumpkin Quest


Last Saturday my niece Pam and I took her daughter Shannon to the Elegant Farmer, which is located between Mukwonago & East Troy, Wisconsin. Basically, it is a large store known for its apple pies baked in paper bags. They are the best apple pies in the world! And, they have canned goods (I mean really canned goods), honeys, great deli stuff and wonderful pot pies. But, I digress.



The Elegant Farmer offers all types of family activities this time of the year, so it was very crowded. In fact, my gal pal, Terri, was there with her daughter and grandkids at basically the same time we were and we never saw them. You can take a tractor ride to pick your own pumpkins, kids can go on pony rides, make your own taffy apples, eat great food and shop. There are also trolley rides on an old time trolley. It was a fun experience to share with an almost 3 year old.








I love going there because I always purchase Sticky Fingers scone mixes. They make up into wonderful scones. They also have great canned cherries for pie filling. Ahh - there I go talking about food again.



Anyway, despite it being a cold and damp day, we had fun. Shannon got a pony ride, a ride on a wooden horse, she made her own taffy apple, we ate cherry brats and, of course, we bought pumpkins.

I had Shannon about an hour alone at my house. She fell asleep on my couch holding her Curious George stuffed toy and underneath my sampler quilt. Gracie curled up next to her. I forgot to snap a picture. It was adorable.

3 comments:

sewprimitive karen said...

I want to ride the trolley! Oh, Julie, you're going to miss all that good Wisconsin/midwestern FOOD when you move down here!

Julie-Ann said...

Yes, I really will miss the food. No other area has frozen custard, only ice cream and it's not that great. Boy, I will miss that! Where else can you get excellent sausages - like the cherry brats we had at the Elegant Farmer. And, the Friday night fish fries. Yum! And, we drink our water out of bubblers, not water fountains. On the bright side, I'm starting to like grits! LOL

antique quilter said...

I love wonderful days like this
lots of memories and Shannon will always remember this day as just plain fun.
oh how I would love a taffy apple now!
Kathie