Tuesday, October 27, 2009

China Dishes

Look at little Gracie peeking out from beneath the quilt. Lucy was behind it with me! Wait! on closer inspection (double click on picture) it is Lucy Lou's head (and tail) peeking out. Silly dogs.

My china dishes quilt is completed and what an ordeal! First let me say that I do love this little quilt. The colors are fabulous. And, anyone who know me would say this is the perfect quilt for me - all the beautiful blue and white fabrics.
But, while I completely enjoyed making this quilt, I screwed up royally! Look carefully at the edge "plates" on the completed quilt. Then look carefully at the edge "plates" on the pictures below.





Notice the "plates" reversed. Yup, all 8 edge plates were sewn backwards. I didn't notice this until I took it off my dining room table and draped it over the couch so I could admire it while I made a phone call to my sister, Suzanne. Yup, I had one small border on all 4 sides and a larger border on 3 sides that had to be removed before I could reverse the plates. Rip, rip, rip, rip, rip. Actually, I surprised myself. I didn't yell or scream in frustration. Amazing - no curse words either. I actually laughed about it. I just put the quilt aside for a number of days and then tackled the job of fixing the "plate" position. And, it went very quickly.

I need a design wall!
The pieced 3rd border is another story and give me trouble and didn't come out well at all. By this time however, I was "over it" and just wanted the darn quilt done. Ahhh - the galloping horse method of quilting.

The backing is washed and and waiting to be ironed, trimmed, squared sewn together and then it is off to Mary to be quilted. Should be done tonight.

3 comments:

sewprimitive karen said...

That's beautiful. The kitty is so cute!!

Julie-Ann said...

Gracie is a dog! LOL - a prima donna doggie, at that! She would be highly insulted, but don't worry . . I won't tell her!

MARCIE said...

Oh wow--you have been busy! How beautiful. And good for you for not freaking out! Seam ripping is good for the soul. It helps keep us humble. We all have to it, we just don't all admit it!