Friday, January 08, 2010

Shannon's Doll Quilt


Last Sunday little Shannon came over and we made a doll quilt out of the 1930 reproduction fabric she picked out. I had the squares pre-cut and she arranged them exactly the way she liked! She brought me each square to sew. I probably could have got it done in half the time, but she was very intent on helping!

We then went through my stash and she picked out the purple inner border and the pink outer border. No swaying this young lady's mind! She wanted pink and purple! We also decided to make the exact same quilt for her cousin, which I whipped up on Monday night.

We had a great time. She listened to what I told her and did what I asked her to do. She loved the stick pins with the large yellow tops! And, she was very careful not to prick herself or drop one on the floor in case the dogs walked on it. She stayed far away from the iron and sat on the other side of the table with her hands on her lap when I used the rotary cutter for the borders. She got to design and arrange her quilt, so I think she understood to listen when it came to being too close to the things that could really hurt her.

I think Curious George likes the quilt, too!

I decided to back it in the pick border fabric, which I was able to still find online so I am waiting for it to arrive. Then I will stitch in the ditch both little quilts.

Shannon and I decided the next doll quilt will be made with "princess" material with blues, greens and, of course, pink and purple! And, she wants triangles and diamond shapes incorporated in her next doll quilt - not just squares and rectangles. Pretty impressive for a little girl who just turned three!

It was a very fun afternoon.

3 comments:

Jen said...

That's so awesome! You'll turn that little girl into a quilter yet!

Becky said...

Julie Ann -- You are such a wonderful aunt. You are creating memories for Shannon that will last a lifetime. How special!

sewprimitive karen said...

Shannon is so cute!