Friday, January 29, 2010

Tea Time Block of the Month (BOM)

This block of the month has been a pain in the butt.

I participated in an on-line BOM from a company I had previously ordered fabric from several times. My experience in dealing with this company had been a happy one with my orders arriving quickly and even with candy attached! How fun and how could it get better? So, I decided to try a BOM they offered.

The company promised that the fabric would be mailed the 20th of each month. Along with the BOMs the company promised, "Throughout the program you will also receive bonus patterns for additional projects, as well as much-loved Tea Time recipes." Sounded great.

The first couple installments arrived safe and sound and on time. I wasn't thrilled with the fabric, but that was a risk I took and overall the quilt is OK. The instructions were always excellent - clear and easy to follow. However, delivery went down hill. I understand that over the holidays, mailing on the 20th wasn't always possible, but 2-3 weeks late is ridiculous. Some months I inquired as to the delay 2-3 times with no response (I was worried they had been lost in the mail). The 4th (out of 6) installments included a little note stating there had been a death in one of the owners immediate family and that was taking up much of her time and she apologised for the delays. Included with the BOM was a cute card with a package of instant hot cocoa and a peppermint stick (this is right before Christmas).

Well - OK. Obviously, this is a small operation and I certainly understand a death in the family. But, why not respond to email inquiries? All it would take is a couple of sentences and I am sure I wasn't the only one inquiring as to where the BOM was. During this time I did order fabric and it arrived promptly. I also made a wrong cut on Block 4 and asked for a little piece of additional fabric. That arrived promptly, too, but not the 5th BOM. When Block 5 did finally arrive I made another wrong cut and asked again for a little more of a specific fabric and she sent me the whole 5th BOM package again. By now it was January and I received this and the 6th and final installment a month late. Ha! They were probably sick of me.

During the first couple of months when things were going smoothly I signed up for 2 more BOMs with this company. I cancelled both due to this problem. One I would have really liked to have participated in as it would have taught me new techniques and would have been a darling quilt. I lost a little money as the initial fee to hold my spot was not refundable. I figured better that than a whole lot of frustration. I notice they are not offering any other BOMs on their website so maybe this was too much for them to handle.

As to the other projects and recipes promised? Never saw them.

This is a "live and learn" experience. Will I order fabric from them again? I don't know. Maybe. Will I try another BOM from an online company? I don't know. Maybe if it has been around for a while and I ask my quilting friends their experiences with the particular company. I did enjoy getting the fabric and pattern every month, working on the block and then setting it aside until the next month. I was eager for the mail to arrive towards the end of each month for the next installment! But now, even though I have only one more section to complete, I have put off finishing the quilt due to my disgust with how the whole situation was handled.

At least I did receive all six BOMs and I learned from making the quilt, i.e., new techniques and methods. And, when I needed additional fabric due to my errors, it was sent free of charge (I did offer to pay). Yet, I am frustrated with the whole thing. What do I think should have happened? I don't know.

Oh, well . . .

No comments: